Looking for ways to get more speed from my Zodiac

ToZlo

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Looking for ways to get a better performance from my Zodiac Cadet 310. I have a new Yamaha 15 hp four stroke on her. I had an 11ft sib Prior to my current. I miss the space but hated the ride. I usually have my gas tank all the way to the back of the dinc. If I use the straps and put it in the center of the boat it's always in the way. My question is will I get on plane faster and a better ride in the center of the boat?

Also, I have the engine tilted on the second setting which tilts to motor up word just slightly. I was wondering if I go to the next notch will it plane slower but faster in the long run?

And finally what's the approx range for speed that everyone is getting with a 15 hip on a 10'4 hard bottom?

Thanks

Tozlo

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for ways to get more speed from my Zodiac

Tozlo,

This link might help : http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=561146 If you boat solo secure gas tank, gear up front. Trim angle is not a theory issue, it's adjusted under error and trial. With sib tubes & keel well inflated, engine trimed right, perfect transom height and well ballanced deck you should achieve at least 16 MPH or more. Will depend on your weight, water conditions & wind too.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Bow Tank Tie.JPG
    Bow Tank Tie.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 0

ToZlo

Cadet

Thanks Sea Raider. You have always been one to respond to my questions here. I appreciate your advice. I have gotten her up to 23 mph with 2 people I just wanted to see if there is anything else I can do to increase speed.

Do you know much about Mercury brand inflatables? Some say they are the best deal around for the cost and they are engineered for speed. I was wondering if there is any truth to that.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Tozlo,

That's perfect top speed. Assuming you have applied all 4 previous recommendations, if 15 HP is top engine for that boat without overpowering, that's max it will go, unles you want to try a Tohatsu 18 HP 2 strokes that will give you more final speed. Or go for a 330/340 rib with your actual 15.

I've had Quicksilver inflatables made by Mercury, can't say are faster than any other brand compared to, at that time 1996 there were no handheld GPS available to test max speed. If your tansom is 15" shim raising to 15".5 will achieve slight better top speed as there will be les tail drag if water flow happens to be hitting the non triangle flow cutting area.

Happy Boating