Looking for the right ski...and advice

forceduponme

Cadet
Hi all, it's been many years since I owned a ski but I'm looking to buy now. I'm looking for something priced 2-3 grand, stable in the water, enough power to pull a tuber, and is very reliable. I don't mind fixing a few things here and there, as I am capable, but I don't want to put a ton of money and time into something just to have some weekend fun. This would be used for family fun, wife is petite, so I don't need a rocket that can carve circles either. I guess reliability and stability, with power to tow, are most important. :)Any thoughts are appreciated.

Torino117

Cadet
Re: Looking for the right ski...and advice

Here's a list from a mechanic friend of ours before we decided to go for a new 4 stroke.

98-2003 Seadoo GTX 800 RFI, Rotax fuel injection. You're looking for problems with the direct injection.

98-2003 Seadoo GTI 720 motor.

Yamaha XLT 800 99-2003. Rode one of these, good ride, and won't suck as much gas as the 1200. Yamaha reliability is always a plus.

Another ski I rode was the 1997 Yamaha wave venture 1100, it's a rocket, and the hull was great, it's a deep V that slices the water. I'm sure one with the 701 motor would do just fine.

Only problem with older ski's are who owned them and how well did they maintain them. Make sure you try for a newer ski within your budget and if you can, search for fresh water ski's, salt water kills everything.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

well if you were close by I would sell you my2002 sea doo gtx ltd 4 tec and a trailer for 3, 000

forceduponme

Cadet

Sounds like a sweet deal. I'm in Minnesota, how about meeting me half way, like in Wisconsin? lol