looking for the freeze plug

mosins

Cadet
I have a Johnson motor, 15 horse. To get it titled the game warden guy says I need the number from the freeze plug. I found all kinda numbers but they all start with a 31 or 39 so I think these are just motor part numbers. I have pulled everything except the flywheel and the carb and the 4 plug wires. where did they hide this thing?<br />Just a guess its a 1975 or so.<br /><br />thanks<br />lee

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: looking for the freeze plug

Motor data plate is on the mounting bracket either between the clamps or on the side.

mosins

Cadet

The plate is missing that's why IM having to go through all the trouble of locating the freeze plug. But thanks anyhow.<br /><br />lee

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look on top or on the side of the top cylinder.

mosins

Cadet

i talked to the guy at the marine shop and he said with the motors age it wont look like a freeze plug. The parks and wildlife wants 15.00 to inspect it if i cant find a number so ill let this guy look at it for free. hopefully something will turn up

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The correct name is "Welsh" plug, not freeze plug. It doesn't do anything except have the serial number on it. (Some also have the model number on them). It should be on the top of the block above number one cylinder. It is a round aluminum disk, (it may have been painted over) about the size of a quarter. The reason some people call it a freeze plug is that it looks like an automotive freeze plug that has been installed backwards. If you still can't find it post back here and I will put on a raincoat and go look at a 15hp to find exactly where it is at. If the plate is missing and the welsh plug is also missing I would suspect that at some time or other the motor may have been stolen, as they don't just fall off by themselves.

mosins

Cadet

no raincoat is needed. I took it to the marine shop. He showed me the disk on top of the motor in between the plugs and the fly wheel. its close to a quarter size and kind of sunk inward but no numbers that i can see. Ill take it to the parks and wildlife so they can inspect it. O coarse ill have the guys name i got it from close at hand just in case.