Looking for suggestions for repower from Merc 140 4-cyl

pbookey

Cadet
I'm working to restore my dad's '74 Jolly Roger. It currently has a Merc 140. I thought I might repower as part of the restoration. The boat is only 17 feet, so I'm not sure what the best configuration might be considering weight limits, engine compartment size, ease of the swap, etc? Any suggestions? Thanks

MooseHootie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking for suggestions for repower from Merc 140 4-cyl

I dont know for sure but i think the v6 might be to heavy.

pbookey

Cadet

The weight is my biggest worry. I have a friend with an American thats about the same year (Jolly Roger has the same hull). He has a 305 in his...I think its 18 feet. Anyhow, anybody else know much about the Jolly Rogers. Thanks.

DHPMARINE

Captain

NavyPat,there is probably a lot to restore on your Dad's boat.Generaly don't repower unless there is a motor problem.Is there one?<br />DHP

pbookey

Cadet

Yeah, there's a lot to repair on the boat...this was mostly just a secondary though. Needs new gelcoat, some fiberglass repair. Interior is pretty shot as well, original vinyl in most places. Engine is running pretty well, had to get a new carb and alternator recently. There a leak in the rear main i think, it slowly leaks a bit of oil leaving a nice slick in the bilge. Other than that she runs fine, just thought a little more power for pulling skiers once she's back together would be nice. You're right about being more concerned about the other restoration, just wanted to see if anybody had done something similar. Thanks.

jrl

Cadet

I would say rebuild the merc 140 and call it good, mess with props to get the out of the hole for skiers, I have a 19.5 webbcraft with a merc 140 and I pull a 250 pounder on ski's and it dosent do to bad top end either, and the gas mileage is nice.....just a suggestion