Looking for Specs on 1976 Evinrude 70HP

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for Specs on 1976 Evinrude 70HP

What specs do you need? It's a 49 CID motor with a 3" standard bore.

downjigger

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of buying one of these for a 1976 DuraNautic boat that I am rebuilding. I am wondering about things like weight, RPM range, is it a three cylinder, what size alternator, ignition sytem and so on. I appreciate anything you can help me with.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If I remember correctly the stator is 6 amp. You should set it up so that the motor will turn 5800 to 6000 RPM with an average load. Yes it is a three cylinder and it has a magneto style ignition. They are good engines. Keep the fuel fresh and use Champion plugs. Have fun.

downjigger

Seaman Apprentice

To DHadley- Thanks again for helping out. I noticeed looking around on this bulletin board that you have a pretty good knowledge of Johnson/Evinrude Outboards. A few years ago I rebuilt a 235 Johnson on my Grady White. Actually we did it three or four times during the 12 years I owned it. It was a 1984 and had the same problems as all the others. An interesting note- I removed the thermostats during the last rebuild and never had a problem again. On this 1976 70 HP that I am looking at I am interested in the amperage because I fish and use lots of electronics and electric downriggers. I was hoping for better than 6 amps. Thanks Again