Looking for more truck

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice
Im looking at a 97 2wd Dodge Ram with the 5.9 eng. and 3.50/1 rear end. My concern is with the gears. I would like at least 3.73, but I know that engine makes pretty good power. My boat and trailer weigh in about 3k lbs.Anyone with a comparable rig? Any feedback is appreciated. P

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Looking for more truck

I don't know if this helps, but I have a 2WD '96 S-10 with a 4.3 liter V-6 and the standard rear end (whatever that was for the model), and the standard 4-speed automatic transmission. I pulled a 3,000 lb. runabout for three years or so with no effort at all. I think the max. rating is 5,000 lbs. for the truck, and I guess that might be gross weight (again, not sure). I have the long-bed model -- believe the longer wheel base is an asset in towing the boat.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

3.5's are better than 3.73's. Lower rpm. Better mileage. Motor makes more than enough power. Might want to ad a tranny cooler.<br />Biggest problem would be pulling out with a 2 wheel drive with that much power, easy to spin tires. <br />Make sure tongue weight and height is correct.

paintermn

Seaman

Hey... great user name. First Hendrix I have seen. I have a 98 Ram 4X4 5.2 and pull 3000 lb.with no problem. You did not say, but it would be important in my ramps situations to have a limited slip differential if I had a 4X2.<br /><br />I have to use the 4X4 all of the time due to slippy/sandy ramps.<br /><br />You should have more than enough power with that engine.<br /><br />Standing next to a mountain- chop it down with the back of my hand.

CHUCKB1

Cadet

Dodge truck = Transmission problems. :( <br />If you can't find a clean Chevy or GMC, go for a Ford :)

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

prplhze65, I pulled my rig with a 99 Durango 5.2l not sure of rear end gearing but it didn't come with towing package and had to add heavy hitch and tranny cooler. My rig weighs in at 5,000lbs and the 5.2 made pleanty of HP. The Durango was a 4X4 (no limited slip diff.) but the tounge weight of my trailer was 500lbs and added enough weight to rear axel that I never needed 4 wheel drive at ramp.

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

prplhze65, I have to agree with CHUCKB1, I had a few tranny problems and a friend Ram stayed in the shop with tranny problems. My Durango started falling apart 6 months after purchase. Find a good clean Chevy or Ford, I did after 2 1/2 years with the Dodge.

rwjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

Engine is definitely big enough, however tranny might be your weak spot. I pulled a 3500lbs concoction with a jeep grand cherokee ltd with a 5.2v8 Motorwise no problems, but I also started getting problems with the tranny. I now have a ford expedition with a 5.4v8 and it has 2 years pulling on it, with not problems.<br />Chrysler/dodge/plymouth is a tranny waiting to blow up!<br /><br />For those guys who think I am a chrysler basher, my wife's uncle runs a transmission shop in PA and 75% of his vehicles needing repair are chrysler vehicles.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Currently have 98 GMC 2wd with 4.3 pulling about 3000lbs, no problem. Manual say's can pull 5800, have pulling package. Don't pull in overdrive must use 3 on column shift otherwise = tranny problem. Like my friend told me "Don't look back you won't even know its there", he was right.<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />emp.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Check Consumer Reports Magazine annual auto edition Check "all"the big and small trucks. Pay real close attention to reliability<br />ratings.Remember they all have decent ratings<br />the first year or two.Its after a few years the real quality shows.There is only one brand that proves itself year after year.<br />You can pull your boat with any compact truck with a V6.If you want the most reliable full size V8 truck they are hard to come by used because they have only been out a few years.<br /> Good luck with your choice.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't sweat it, just pull it! I am pulling 3k with a 4 banger, straight stick S-10.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

'99 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 with factory towing package. I pull a 26' searay, 19' searay, and more with no problem. I agree on 4x4 to pull out from ramp, it's very slippery. Never had problem with tranny, but it's a gas hog.

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice

Hey,thanks everyone for all of the info.Heres what I decided. I'm gonna keep my 99 Ford Ranger 4cyl 5spd.Ive used it to pull the boat but it is over the capacity. Someone brought up and interesting point. If I have and accident pulling too much weight, I'm toast! I was gonna try and trade it in, but its got 95000 miles and I owe more than I can get for it. So, instead, I took my old 84 G.M.C Jimmy with a 350, that I completely rebuilt a year ago,to a shop and Im getting 4.11 gears put in. That ought to do the trick! The 3.08's that it had were terrible for pulling in any kind of hill. On flat hiway they were ok, but not on the hills.Anyway whats everyones plans for the fourth of joooly? I hope it includes boating! Myself and family will be going up to Lake Almanor on wed. We'll see how thnew gears work!! Thanks again. P