looking for info on "new" tohatsu

jjohnson_714

Cadet
i recently got a 8 hp tohatsu with a boat i just bought, but i really dont know much about them at all. what is the best way to find out exactly what motor i have

on the plate it has m8b (which i'm guessing is the model) then below that there is a 3B2 (no idea what that is) followed by 55240 (serial #?)

any help would be great. it seems like a good little motor, but i would like to know a little bit more about it.

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: looking for info on "new" tohatsu

The M8B is the Tohatsu 8hp 2-stroke model. The 55240 is your serial number (the 3B2 is some sort of "family" indicator that doesn't mean much to anyone except maybe the Tohasu factory folks). The serial # is the old style serial # and it's hard to tell what the year is from it but it's probably a mid-90's (?) model. You can download replacement owner's manuals and other good tech info from the Tohatsu USA website at www.tohatsu.com (just go to the Technical Info section of their website). The owner's manual will have a page of all sorts of technical specs on the motor. If properly taken care of it's a great motor that should last a lifetime. You can get service manuals (and parts) for it from the "guru's" website at www.internetoutboards.com.