looking for good sound

mern

Cadet
Re: looking for good sound

I gotta 8-track connected to a blown speaker with a lamp cord. Qualify?

boatmor

Seaman Apprentice

The first thing I do with anything that makes sounds is to go to the very deepest part of the lake, through it overboard and when I am sure it has hit bottom get the heck out of there.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a big difference, in good sound and loud sound. most of the quality is in the speakers.

Jeep Man

Commander

I have a regular sound system, equivilent to what would come with your car from the dealer. Any more would be a waste. Your fellow boaters and onshore residents and cottagers do not appreciate other peoples music. If they want music, they can supply their own. My tunes are at a low respectable volume if I'm at the dock, at a respectable volume if at anchor, and not heard at all if near cottages or people's homes.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with the other posters above. I have and enjoy a nice stereo on my boat but loud sounds and pontooning are usually not synonomous.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought the cheapest deck I could find ($15 new CD\AM\FM on Amazon) and connected it to the 2 blown 4x6 speakers. It is perfect! Just enough sound to enjoy, and annoy!

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

steer away from those $ 99 package units, you will need to add an amp and more speakers, cause you can't even hear the volume at idle :rolleyes:

sfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah, an amp is a good idea. tell your stereo shop what it will be going on and they should have some stuff that will not draw too much power from your battery array.
also spend some money on good speakers. buy brands that have been around for a while, they tend to have the better warranties.most 6-1/2 inch speakers will give you decent bass and midrange with the tweeter filling in the rest. many shops have a foam baffle that you place over the magnet and basket of the speaker, its a good thing to have as it will protect the back of the speaker from accidental punctures and will help keep the speaker's mechanical stuff dry
when looking at the stereo itself, look for something that allows you to plug in an ipod or other mp3 device, and getting one that is satellite radio capable will keep you happy and allow you to hear the game while fishing, always a bonus

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to the auto junk yard and buy a used system. they work well. i have the system out of my Mariner in my boat, upgrade system in the car.

nhtrax

Seaman Apprentice

I did buy this pontoon for family fun, i agree whole hardly on keeping my expreince my expreince and not bothering anyone else. I do have a am fm casseset deck on board , that should be enough for quite riding thanks for keeping the ethics of responsable boating alive:rolleyes:

Jeep Man

Commander

steer away from those $ 99 package units, you will need to add an amp and more speakers, cause you can't even hear the volume at idle :rolleyes:

Then I say, get a quieter motor. There is a misconception that better sound is louder sound. Loud sound eminating from a boat is two things.....Noise and annoyance. If you want GOOD sound, get good equipment. If you want loud sound, get another hobby.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a good marine Headunit Highpower add four good waterproof speakers atleast 2 of those being 6x9's add a 12" sub powered by 200watt amp. Sit back and enjoy.:)