Looking for experience

AZBTN

Recruit
I am looking at a couple of older hypalon boats (20yr old 12' Achillies and a 27yr old 14' zodiac) If these boats have been used 8-12 times a year for weekend stuff on local lakes, deflated and stored inside how much more life do they have in them if used on a similar basis. Does the actual material degrade with this type of use or can I just expect to repair some seams eventually.
Will a 8-10 hp motor be enough for maybe 4 adults and a cooler?
And are the NADA price guides fairly accurate for these boats?($400-$550)

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking for experience

Hypalon is great material but you would be concerned about other things failing too like valves. Is the material still soft and flexible? Do the tubes hold air well? Is the transom still really strong? Are you going to have to do repairs now? I would guess that you would be better off finding something newer, but let's see what others say. I haven't ever owned an inflatable in this age range so I'm not sure how everything would hold up. There are certainly 20+ year old hypalon boats in use.

As for the engine, if you don't expect to go very fast with the 4 people then you'll be fine. Great for exploring and fishing. It won't come close to pulling a water skier of course.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

the hypalon is fine, it is just the glue on the seams and that sort of thing that don't work well with time .....

AZBTN

Recruit

Are valves serviceable? can you buy parts for them or do you have to remove the whole valve and glue in a new one.
What do you guys think a good price is for a boat in that 20+ yr age range
assuming that it is in decent shape?

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 90 Avon (hypalon) and have had few problems with the tubes or valves. Yes valves are serviceable go to polymarine.com (a UK site) and you gan get an idea of the type of valve you have and parts. Rib.net (another UK site) can give you you some instructions on how to service valves.
Good luck

deejaycee_2000

Captain

No you do not need to take out the whole valve and glue in a new one, it is only the inside that needs to be replaced, you can screw it out and just replace it with a new one .... they are cheap .....