Looking for cover for 18' Chieftain OB.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can't seem to find one that I'd be comfortable buying without trying it. Has anyone found one that fits well and decent quality? Just a little pre shopping going on here. That's all I can do on the resto till the snow melts, some time in July.:eek: What do you guys use if anything?

I thought this is the best place to post this question because all the Chieftain/Starchief/Islander owners are here.

Thanks,
Mike

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Looking for cover for 18' Chieftain OB.

Maybe after your restors you cant afford a cover.:D Hard to imagine that after all that work we leave them uncovered all summer or throw a blue tarp over it.

barato2

Commander

Michael--

i think the reason you haven't gotten much response is that no one has found a cover tailored for such an obscure boat (i have the same obscure boat and have researched Q without success). for now, i'm just going to use a 20x30 silver tarp from Harbor Fright and set up the running light to plug in so i can drop it for storage

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At least I got 1 response...Thanks barato, it was getting lonely over here. Thats what I was thinking too. I was hoping someone would have found a trailerable cover for say, a walk around 20' cuddy that worked OK. Perhaps I'll try one from Wally world and return it if it doesn't fit. I like to keep my equipment under cover when its not in use. I'll post here if I find something that works.

barato2

Commander

you're thiinking the same direction i was...a cover like that oughta sorta fit. hadn't decided what $ level of cover to buy. let us know what you learn.

and YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES on keeping the boat covered. the MAJORITYof "issues" i see in old boats could have been prevented by keeping boat securely covered, even with the Harbor Fright tarp.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I found a cover that is very close, close enough to use. It's an Attwood style D at Wally World for $72. There is just enough material to cover the gunwales at the widest part of the beam and it covers the motor. Not happy with the quality but hey for the price I wont complain if I can get a few seasons out of it.

Cheers

64osby

Admiral

How about a pic of the off the shelf suit for your pride and joy.

I always needed a tailored suit, still do.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll do that sometime. Right now my 16' SS is all dressed up and the Chief is in the garage.