looking for carb for 4.3 merc

riannucci

Recruit
I have a 1995 donzi 18'2'' medalion bowrider with a 4.3 motor. I think I have an alpha outdrive, I am looking to upgrade to a better carb (maybe edelbrock) , any suggestions as to size & where i can get one?
thanks

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: looking for carb for 4.3 merc

Volvo 4.3's (like mine) use a Holley 4160 marine variant like this one. I don't know anything about Edelbrock marine carbs, or what Merc. uses.

Note to iboats: Sorry for the outside link, but it seems as if the old search function from the forums was moved to the marine store. It wouldn't even let me search for "carburetor 4.3". I tried to keep it "at home"...

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Edelbrock 600 cfm (model 1409), and edelbrock performer aluminum intake. I've typically dealt with summit on that kind of thing. I have one on the 4.3 that came out of my boat last night and have been very pleased with it... the stock jets / metering rods won't work, but the jet kit they sell for 1409 use on a 4.3 will get it close.

Depending on prop, loading, conditions, etc... my 4.3 would push my 18' checkmate to wot 50-60 mph.

Hope this is helpful...

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

The Edelbrock 600 performer carb, Part # 1409 is a good choice as long as you replace the power valves and such with the calibration kit # 1485. This will make the carb leaner where the out of the box 1409 is more tuned for a V8.

For the intake, the Performer 90 dual plane, part # 2111 is what you would use with this. This is a good torque manifold and works well with the V6.​