Looking for advice on a Volvo Penta AQ170: Rebuild, Repower, or Replace the boat.

sr.conner

Recruit
What have people in the forum experienced when faced with these choices?

I have a 1976, 17-foot Imperial open bow runabout with a fishing deck conversion powered by an AQ170 Volvo Penta and 270 Volvo outdrive. We’re the second owner of the boat and have had it since 1989. I just blew the rings in number six cylinder and am faced with the choice of rebuilding, repowering, or replacing the boat.

The engine was completely rebuilt (including a brand-new cam, new lifters, head rebuild, and block re-sleeving) in 2015 and it took several months for me to find the necessary parts and gaskets before doing that job. I know parts are harder to find and it will likely cost a minimum of $5000 to remove, rebuild, and then reinstall the engine (assuming I can find the parts).

Is there an alternative engine that will meet or beat the $5000 required to rebuild my current engine, mate up to my 270 outdrive, be readily available with replacement parts in stock for future work as a replacement for the AQ170?

If such an animal doesn’t exist, what’s the best way to get this boat into the hands of somebody that can use it? The engine parts (I have an extra water circulation pump and camshaft, three Solex PAI carburetor rebuild kits, new replacement raw water impeller and such) are desirable. I know there’s lots of value in the parts for the engine but I don’t have the time or space to part it out myself.

The boat is sound, the hull is watertight, and the upholstery and boat cover are in excellent shape (I store the boat inside my garage), the instrument panel was replaced in 2015 as well, and I replaced the steering cable last season. The trailer is sound, has a good axle and spindles, fresh tires and a spare.

My bass fishing addiction is kicking in and I need to get on the water.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
change PDS housing find 4.3 and go that route

BTW, i built my big block from scratch for about $3500, so fixing your 170 shouldnt cost you $5k

sr.conner

Recruit
Would you have more details about the 4.3? Would I be able to find a complete engine and PDS housing for something close to $2000?

You are correct about the rebuild of the engine. Estimate from the boat shop was R and R and set up $2000 for 2 days total labor, $1000 contingency for unexpected things and incidentals, $2000 for rebuilding the motor, Total cost will be about $5000, including the $1000 contingency.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
turn your own wrenches, its much cheaper than paying someone.

what details do you need on the 4.3? for $2k you should be able to pick up a complete boat with a rotten hull powered by an AQ271/DP290 or 260/DP290

sr.conner

Recruit
Scott - Thanks for taking an interest in my project.

Did turn my own wrenches for 40+ years, but age and bad body parts won't let me do it to the degree needed for the complete overhaul any more.

What's it look like to find and buy a PDS adapter for one f the Volvo Penta engine models you listed?
Would I be overpowering my little 17' if I went with a 4.3 liter engine?
Are parts for those engines still in production? Don't want to jump into the same issues I have with finding parts for my current AQ170. When I found parts for the AQ170, the suppliers were either back east, Pacific Northwest, or Europe and I'm in Arizona.

cnotecherry

Seaman
In my opinion putting that kind of money in a boat like that is crazy unless it has some sentimental value to you witch in that case it's only money but you could probably find a newer similar boat for 5k ready to go I've been down the repowering rout and it always nickle and dimes you way more than you think

sr.conner

Recruit
Been looking at replacements for my current boat. A lot of the ads for boats are out of date, sellers don't respond to inquiries, and the boats in the $5k range are sketchy when I look at them closely (most will need a bunch of bucks to bring them up to snuff).

I'm thinking of selling outright or parting out my current boat and applying that money to my $5k allocated to the rebuild of my AQ170. Best bet would be to sell it outright as I don't have the space to part it out. I've not found folks near by that want to offer more than $200 for the whole thing, including trailer! Folks selling AQ170 parts and 270 sterndrive parts on ebay believe these things must be made of gold.

Guess you have to be on the right side of the deal to see the gold. When I'm buying, they're gold; when I'm selling, they're scrap.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I found that craigslist is more reasonable than ebay. picked up a 290 trans for $200 with new u-joints. ebay wants $1500 for same

regarding your question on over-powering. no. been in plenty of 17' boats with big motors (300+ hp) and the 170 you have now is 170hp. a 4.3 will be between 185 and 220hp (depending on vintage)

you would make more money parting it out, however it may take you 3 years.

you are correct that most boats under $10k are sketchy, especially this time of year.

kenny nunez

Captain
Some 170s came with the same drive ratio that the V8s used. 1.61 if my memory is correct. Try counting the input to prop turns. If you have one then you could put in a V8, you just need the adapter thru transom housing.