Looking for advice / 16 supersport

BB222

Cadet
Hi all,
Appreciate everyone’s perspective here and looking for some advice. For the last two years, I’ve had a 16 foot super sport that I have used pretty minimally (my second StarCraft). It is set up for fishing with carpeted plywood over the front seat area and a nice trolling motor. Original trailer and 40hp 2stroke force outboard. I like the boat, but feeling really torn on what to do. In reality, I’m probably not gonna do any fishing from it and it’d be better to have it cleaned up and more seats. The back of the floor area is getting soft and the outboard could use a tuneup. It is a nice looking complete original boat.

So, what to do next. If I had more time, and a shop, I would love to tear this boat apart and spend a winter fixing it up and maybe even put a larger outboard on it. That said, I don’t have a shop and my wife wants to park her car in the garage. I also have almost no time and have trouble even finding time to get out on the lake. My wife and I both work full-time, I have a side business, and I coach my daughters soccer team.

Given these constraints, I feel like the best path would be to find a unicorn boat that’s already had its flooring replaced, and some level of a restoration. I would love for it to be a 16 to 18 foot StarCraft. I don’t know if it’s realistic to think that I can find a boat like that that would be turnkey. My ideal would be, clean and ready to go, solid floor, and transom, and mechanically good shape. If I sell this boat, is there a way to find what I’m looking for or am I just setting myself up for a while goose chase.
Thanks!

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are obviously running boats in great shape available on the market. The "unicorn" aspect would be more about what price you would pay.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
After tearing one right down to the bare hull, I can tell you that it is quite a lot of work. A lot more time than I bargained for. Then again when I do projects, I’d like to take my time as opposed to barrelling through something to finish it. I like to enjoy the process.

With your life is busy as it is you may find it to be really challenging. Also, something you should consider is that life has different plans for you. People can get sick or lose their jobs etc, and in the middle of a big project that can be the end of it.

If I was in your position, I think I would choose to look for one that was still in good shape or that somebody had spent some time on. Even an older restoration can still be solid. Be patient and keep your eyes peeled. You might find a gem of a deal.

And I’m not trying to dissuade you from doing the project. Just trying to help you see all angles.

BB222

Cadet
After tearing one right down to the bare hull, I can tell you that it is quite a lot of work. A lot more time than I bargained for. Then again when I do projects, I’d like to take my time as opposed to barrelling through something to finish it. I like to enjoy the process.

With your life is busy as it is you may find it to be really challenging. Also, something you should consider is that life has different plans for you. People can get sick or lose their jobs etc, and in the middle of a big project that can be the end of it.

If I was in your position, I think I would choose to look for one that was still in good shape or that somebody had spent some time on. Even an older restoration can still be solid. Be patient and keep your eyes peeled. You might find a gem of a deal.

And I’m not trying to dissuade you from doing the project. Just trying to help you see all angles.
Thanks Shoestring Mariner. This is exactly what i was thinking. I have built 2 boats from scratch before but that was before my daughter was born. I'm willing to pay a fair price but just have not found the one yet. I may also have to be willing to travel a ways to find something. I feel like I always see cool original or restored boats in Wisconsin more than in Michigan where I live.