looking for a marina

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a big dilema. I have found a marina that is for sale, that I would love to have. Now it is a huge investment (really huge). But I think it will at least pay for itself and then some. My wife sees a liability (money wise) I see nothing but potential. This thing is sitting on 15 acres with only about 4 being used. It seems that the guy that is currently running it has not done much with it except except kept it running.<br />I am not a business owner, so that is a big strike against me, but i've got heart. I am currently a software engineer, but I am tired of worrying about my job every single day :( Owning and running a marina is more my speed. <br />What do you guys think? Should I stay in the corporate abyss that is my job, or take the plunge?

D

DJ

Re: looking for a marina

water_surge,<br /><br />My brother and I have the same desire/dream.<br /><br />We have looked into many. Several things keep coming up.<br /><br />1. What is the season for the location. It's hard to survive on a three or four month boating season.<br /><br />2. What is the reputation of the current owner? If it's bad, you'll have several dry years before your good service starts to be noticed.<br /><br />3. Check with the EPA. The, the last thing you want is to buy the property and then have the EPA come in and condemn it as a "superfund" site. That almost happened to us. :eek: Be especially careful if there has been fuel stored on site.<br /><br />4. If you want to have fuel available, check FIRST with the DNR. Some lakeferont fuel sites are "grandfathered" and are not transferable to a new owner.

eeboater

Commander

Hey water... thats also been a dream of mine. One that is a loooong way off.<br /><br />America is built with people like you. I know this seems like an errant response, but I say go for it!!!!<br /><br />(As long as what DJ said checks out of course!)<br /><br />Sean

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Consider the tortoise.<br /><br />Unless he sticks his neck out he never gets anywhere.<br /><br />Take DJ's advice first, then . . .<br /><br />Go for it, and best of luck. :)

TilliamWe

Banned

surge, it'll be a tough business with it's own headaches. Maybe in 5 years the "abyss" will be your marina, but hey, you'll never know unless you try, right?<br />Is a partnership possible? Someone to help share finances & duites?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Check the books - the amount he paid taxes on, and verify all income. Check them for 2 or 3 years. I have seen owners inflate the income for a year and pay the tax on non existant income, just to justify their selling price the next year.<br /><br />Estimate your first year cash outlay to keep her going and make improvements then double the estimate. Have that cash available to work with.<br /><br />How do the marina services match up to what the competition has to offer?<br />Fuel, launching, picnic area, food and beverages, bait, docking, long term slips, engine service, parts store, groceries/ice,.<br />The more you have available the better, as long as there is a market for those items and the inventory overhead doesn't kill you.<br /><br />You will be selling Seafoam, right? :)

CATransplant

Admiral

What lake is this on? Is it a popular location for recreation?

aspeck

Staff member

DJ and Roscoe have given you some good advise. I would like to add to what they have said. You have admitted that you have no business background, except for working in the corporate world as a techie.<br /><br />It will be EXTREMELY important that you surround yourself with good people. First you will want to have a good accountant - I am assuming there is quite the cash flow in this marina when the season is on. This accountant can analyze the last few years of business and give you a projected cash flow expectancy. This will help you plan for payments, etc. Remember, you have to make enough while the sun shines to cover you in the winter months - winter storage will help a little - pay ongoing bills and help you survive, but prolly won't give you the income you need to pay off the note, etc.<br /><br />What services are not offered at the current marina that you would like to offer? Guiding Service? Tour Boat? Concessions? How will this effect the amount of the loan you will need vs cash flow?<br /><br />Do you know someone who has marina experience that you could hire to manage the place? What about staff? Many of the jobs at the marina can be handled by HS & College kids. But you will need good management material to keep them motivated and working (I know, I worked at a marina from the age of 15 to 21, then part time playing skipper to the tour boat for another 5 years till my license was due for renewal).<br /><br />Please do not misunderstand what I am about to say, there is no greater reward than owning your own business, but are you really ready to work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day, from February or March till October or November. You will look out over the beautiful body of water and see all the fun and you will be busting your butt to see that A dock gets the loose boards repaired, and the customer that wants moved to another slip because they had a fight with the guy beside them is happy, etc? Are you ready to see employees get paid more than you for less time spent on the job? Are you ready to take vacations only when no one else wants to? It does take a special kind of person to handle this, but the rewards can be worth it.<br /><br />So, what am I saying? Being your own boss means you are a slave to your job! If you do the job well, eventually the rewards will be great, but you will have had to work at it, and the investment, worry, and work IS great (as in large).<br /><br />If you think you are up to the challenge, if your marriage is up to the stress, if your wife is in agreement, then go for it! And hang on cause it will be a great ride.<br /><br />After all Roscoe, DJ, and I have said, if you are still ready, but your wife is not, walk away from the marina. It won't be worth the agrivation. But if all is go, and she agrees, Welcome to the world of Business Owner!<br /><br />PS - your accountant will advise you on what will be best, sole proprietor, Inc., LLC, etc. Listen to your options and do what is best for YOUR situation.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! Great advice, like I expected from a swell bunch of guys like yall. The marina is on lake Tawakoni, TX and it is a little out of the way from the other ones on the lake. Which is good and bad. I had looked at another one up the road but the guy was completely unwilling to hand over his financials for the last three years :eek: But what he was offering was way more than this guy is. But it seemed that he liked to deal with things in a crooked way, which left me with alot of reservations.<br />The marina I am looking at now has far less, but with a ton of potential. And since this is in Texas, I will have a pretty long season to look forward to. And the work part, I am not afraid of. I do not believe that this guy has a bad reputation, its just that he has not maximised his investment. There are a few things that need to be hammered out, but so far things look good.<br />I'll have to keep you guys posted on the progress I make with this, I have my heart set on it, but know that I will not sink myself into a bad deal. <br />Again thanks for the advice.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Got room for me to set up the dome tent for a few days?<br /><br />Note to self: Fish and camp in TX in April of 2006. :)