Looking at stingray that has been backed into the garage wall-is that really bad?

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice
As the title says, I think I found the perfect boat for me but I am not sure about it due to the holes in the drywall behind the prop I saw. It is not a huge hole it is a few little ones. It looks like every time they brought the thing home they hit the wall with it. Does this cause major damage or is the prop stronger than the drywall? This will be my first boat so I have no clue about props. The boat is a 2006 stingray 185 lx I/O

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking at stingray that has been backed into the garage wall-is that really bad?

Howdy, Dad.

Welcome to iboats. :)

If the seller treats it like that I don't want anything to do with it.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking at stingray that has been backed into the garage wall-is that really bad?

hope they drove the boat better then they do parking it. lol

cr2k

Captain

It would really take a hard hit in to a 2x6 wall on the stud to even make a diff.
But run it and check the drive for any noise.

From what you describe it doesn't sound like there would mush if any real damage. A SS prop would do more damage to the wall then anything and an Aluminum prop would absorb damage long before the drive got hurt.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could be they backed up the boat right up against the wall, then when they let the trailer down, dropping the nose moved the prop into the drywall? Or perhaps they push it right to the back of the garage by hand to maximize space. If you don't see any damage on the prop from it, I wouldn't worry. Drywall is very soft when it's versus metal!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Ha! Sounds like he gets backing directions from my wife!
Doubt it hurt much other than the wall. A minor nudje with anything as pointy as an outdrive is going to bust sheetrock. Maybe bent the prop a bit, get it checked. All rules for buying a boat apply however. A sea trial is in order regardless. But I wouldn't let the wall marks scare me much, he could have pushed the trailer back by hand and done the same thing. That's not enough force to worry about if the wall is still standing.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Now if it was a cinder block wall, well folks, we would have something to talk about then wouldn't we?

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Not crazy about the holes but not a big deal. I like the fact that it was actually parked in a garage.

oldjeep

Admiral

Meh - All sorts of marks behind my boat too - its a tight fit lengthwise so I hand push it the last couple feet until the fin touches the wall. You're not going to damage the prop or skeg tapping a piece of drywall.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Perhaps we are all jumping to conclusions here. My boat that I take extremely good care of... is parked in the pole barn at the back in the insulated and dry walled part. It has happened 2 times that after hand walking it to the back, I did not get the front wheel locked before it hit the back wall. DARN it. The floor is sloped pretty good back there and I forget sometimes. They may have the same thing. Drywall breaks really easy. Especially with a sharp object like a prop or skid. So I would not worry about a few dry wall holes. Just check out the rest of the boat. If it looks good, buy it.

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Man this forum is awesome! You ask a question and everybody jumps in to try to help. You don't find that on most forums.
I call the buyer and asked more questions about the drywall. They said it was hand pushed into the garge so I don't think they hit it too hard. I will take it for a spin before I buy.

Thanks for all the advise, This will be my first boat so I need all the help I can get.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yeah, I garage my sig boat after each use and you hand walk it the last two feet since you can't get the truck that close in if the boat is offset even a little in the garage. A little drywall or even a stud at that slow of speed is nothing to me. I suppose cumulative damage over many, many times could pose some issue, but I wouldn't worry too much. That Stingray by the way is a great starter boat.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

I can't believe that nobody has thought to use this as a reason to justify building a bigger garage to the wife.

cr2k

Captain

mphy98: ever thought about putting a 2x4 on the floor so your boat will stop and not hit the wall?

scipper77

Commander

When you open up the throttle on that boat how much force does the lower unit/transom see? I'd say if the prop or outdrive isn't visibly damaged there is no way I'd be to concerned.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Man this forum is awesome! You ask a question and everybody jumps in to try to help. You don't find that on most forums.
I call the buyer and asked more questions about the drywall. They said it was hand pushed into the garge so I don't think they hit it too hard. I will take it for a spin before I buy.

Thanks for all the advise, This will be my first boat so I need all the help I can get.

Take what the seller says with a grain of salt. Remember his goal is to get your money from your pocket to his.

I would be more concerned about the stress put on the transom from backing into a wall.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Stingray's a good boat. Attention to fit'n finish is top shelf. My lil bro has a 19 footer with a 4.3. Bought it new in '02. Been a great boat for him.

Not quite sure what to recommend after backing one through a wall ... Water test?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like a case for Mythbusters....lol...drywall vs. outdrive.... seriously ,... if you have ever handled sheets of drywall , you would know how EASILY it can be damaged... I wouldn't worry about the transom , unless the drywall breakage is CLOSE to a stud.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

If i were selling my boat i wouldnt even say anything about that,sounds funny

rickryder

Commander

1/2" drywall will break very easily.....just check the boat out and go from there....