Looking at a Boat hows the price

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys looking for boat and came across this one. 2000 Bayliner 18ft bowrider with a 2002 Merc 115 4stroke. 1 owner great shape, older couple bought new and rarely used, put the 4stroke on in 02 because they wanted better fuel consumption, boat comes with all the extras like covers anchors etc... I have never owned a 4stroke before so am leary it will be to slow. They are asking 6800 but I know they will go lower. So what do you guys think.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Looking at a Boat hows the price

Prices vary drastically around the US. Where is the boat located? Take a look at the most recent Boating magazine where they compare a Sterndrive 4.3 liter carb to a 115 4 stroke on 18 foot identical Ebbtide bowriders in response to the apparent resurgence of OB's on small bowriders for a couple of reasons. They get 43mph out of the OB and the severely underpropped 4.3 gets 48mph while the OB is slightly faster on bottom and got a bit better mpg. The boats were very light 18 footers, likely not to dissimilar to the Bayliner in question. The 4.3 oddly enough had an 18" prop and so I presume left at least a few extra clicks on the table. http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/outboard-advantages

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will be taking it for a ride but not till end of next week. Boat is in WI, price seems ballpark for what I have seen-lower than some higher than others. I know it will not be a speed demon but if I can get 40-42 out of it topped out I ould be happy.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The 115 hp 4 stroke should perform very well on that boat, as the Bayliner's not too heavy.

Outboards are 700-800 lbs. lighter, and you can really tell the difference when your trailering it. 4 strokes will also last a long time if properly maintained--longer than 2 strokes.

This boat should do you a good job.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys I will give it a good look over and test drive and hopefully it works out. Anything else I should look for as far as the 4 stroke motor is concerned? Thanks

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys I will give it a good look over and test drive and hopefully it works out. Anything else I should look for as far as the 4 stroke motor is concerned? Thanks

Expect the owner to produce parts receipts and/or maintenance records. Best strategy for buying a boat is to assume that anything that can't be proven has never been done. Annual maintenance is required on all engines. If in doubt- if the owner seems sincere but doesn't have the proof you need, you can always cut a deal contingent upon a professional inspection of the engine, then hire a pro to go over it for you .

A couple hundred is a small price to pay to insure you're getting a good one. Good luck and happy hunting!

My .02

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JoLin,

yep good advice, bought a few boats in the past and for sure any deal we may come to will be contingent on the motor eval. I am more wondering if the price seems good to any others that may have similiar boats.