Looking at a 20' Crestliner Nordic

Charger183

Seaman
I'm looking at buying a 1978/9 20' Crestliner Nordic. It has the Chevy 250 ci 6 and Mercruser outdrive, with a 4.5 trolling motor. First aluminum boat I have looked at. No obvious dents or misuse, fresh engine rebuild, outdrive looks clean. What else should I know about this boat combination? Price is $6000. Canadian with all the electric downriggers/poles/lures, etc. and dual axle trailer. What do you think?????

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Looking at a 20' Crestliner Nordic

I have a 1980 Crestliner Nordic 20 that I have had since new. I love the boat and have had no problems with it at all. We use it in lakes and rivers and take it to pacific ocean for one week a year. We have no leaks and get good fuel mileage. If seas are over 8 feet or less than 8 second we stay in port. Worst conditions we went out in was 9 foot swells every 7 seconds but I must tell you not very fun. Fished less than two hours and came back in. My boat has the 3.0L 181 cubic inch 4 cylinder. Top speed 38 miles per hour usually cruise at 25 at 3000 RPMS. I have a 15 HP kicker motor we use for trolling, slowing our drift and to get us in should the main motor ever fail. The 15 HP is ok but would not go any smaller. Like I said we love our boat. I do not know the exchange rate but $6000 US would be too high unless he had top of the line GPS and Fish Finders, anchore and saftey gear. Like I said we love our boat from skinny dipping in local lakes to deep sea fishing 30 Miles ofshore.

Charger183

Seaman

Thank's Boatlist. $0.65+- US = $1.00 Canadian. ($4000. US = $6000. CDN) This boat comes with all the latest electronic fresh water fishing gear, radio, loran, gps, fishfinder, downriggers, Penn reals & poles, all safety equipment, etc. I found out the boat is a NORSEMAN. Haven't been able to find a site about it. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. If you get 38 mph with a 4, than this thing should be in the 40-45 mph range. Going out on it on Saturday. Let you know.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Norseman is different than a Nordic. Nordic is a run about with walk thru window, closed bow and under deck storage. Has a soft top and back to back seats that lay down for sunbathing or sleaping. Nordic has more open room in back for fishing. Weight is 2800 lb or 1270kg.<br />Norseman 1980 is a hard top with front cabin, helm station behind cabin with pedistal seats. Has more cabin and less fishing room. Specs 21 ft 8 inches or 6.6 M, Max depth 82inches or 208CM, Max Beam 94 inches or 238CM, weight 3250 lb or 1474kg dry or no fuel, 34 gal gas tank or 128.7 liters, engines 140, 165, 170, 198, 185, 200. Hull is welded aluminum but stringers have some rivets. My nordic 20 after 22 years does not leak a drop but we do not pound it hard when it gets rough. With all the gear you listed and the exchange rate I think it is a great deal if that is type boat you are looking for. Aluminum boats are lighter so use less fuel and eaiser to trailer than glass. Since they are lighter also ride a little ruffer, go more over waves instead of thur. If keepped in salt water, check hull for saltwater corrosion and pits, check for dents or hooks in the bottom. Very low maintance boat if trailer and do not dock for long times in salt water.

Charger183

Seaman

Hi Boatist: Now I'm confused. This boat has a plack that says NORSEMAN but has no hard top or cuddy cabin, only a 20" cutout for access into the bow. The distance from the windshield to the bow point is only 40". The windshield opens in the middle but it is at the bow deck level. From the dash back the entire back of the boat is open space except for the engine cover. The thing comes with a canvas top that goes from the top of the windshield to the rear with about 5'8" in height clearance. The control station is to Starboard as in most boats, with the engine control mounted on the right hand wall. Where can I find a web-site about the older Crestliner boats? Thanks for all your efforts. Larry

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Larry What you decribed is a Nordic. Actually the same boat I have. The Norseman has the same hull but different top. Could be they just put on wrong plack or put plack on before they decided which top to put on. Does the boat then have back to back seats that lay down with under seat storage?? Also storage areas on each side?? Creastliner web site is very poor and I think there boat design has went down hill since they were bough out. I have been looking for a 24 foot for a few years now and while Crestliner made a great 24 foot hull the inside and top was unuseable for us. No storage space except in the cab instead they had three live wells. If you find a good web site I would sure like to know. Go to classified section of this board and search on aluminum boate. There is a older version of the Nordic 22 with a 1977 picture.