looking at 1991 sea-ray 185br what to watch out for?

kfelgnar

Recruit
i've searched around the site and haven't found much info. im looking at a well worn 1991 searay 185 br with a 350. it is fairly cheap and a bit of a project i just want to go look at it with some education. is there anything specific i should keep an eye out for on this boat? or searays of this generation in general ? thanks in advance.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: looking at 1991 sea-ray 185br what to watch out for?

There is nothing specific to this boat that you should watch out for other everything, its 21 years old and neither you or I know its history, it was a great boat when new just like every other boat was, but that was 21 years ago and the care and maintenance it has had over its lifetime will decide its current condition, you have to go over every inch of this boat and look for soft spots in the floor, take a socket extension and tap the stringers, your looking for soft spots and it will sound hollow, once you hear it you will not forget the sound. A fine tooth comb, plan on it, if you have a friend take him and go over every inch, I hope it turns out well for you but if you wish to see the worst case scenario and how to fix it go to youtube and search Frisco Jarrett's sea ray, be warned I'm not trying to scare you but this is a very real situation you can find yourself in with ANY used boat that has not been cared for properly.

tpenfield

Staff member

As far as a brand . . . Sea Rays are OK. As far as 21 years old . . . you pretty much need to check out everything. Engine condition and structural rot are your 2 big things. . . soft spots on the floor, transom, bulkhead and stringer rot . . . Then check the electrical stuff, etc.

Bondo

Staff member

i've searched around the site and haven't found much info. im looking at a well worn 1991 searay 185 br with a 350. it is fairly cheap and a bit of a project i just want to go look at it with some education. is there anything specific i should keep an eye out for on this boat? or searays of this generation in general ? thanks in advance.

Ayuh,.... It Ain't OMC powered is it,..??

aramnrtar

Cadet

I bought one of the same boat last year and with a lot of work it turned out to be a very good boat. Mine has the 4.3 Mecruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2. The engine with 170 hrs turned out to be in great shape. Look in the port side engine room above the batteries for hour meter. The boat handles very very good on the water and I am happy with it. Do check it over well, as these guys will tell you, so you know what you will have to do to get it in good condition.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Try to find a spot on it that isn't rotten.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure the hull is great. However it is highly likely that the flotation foam is water-logged, stringers rotten, transom rotten, deck soft, etc etc. A rough looking fiberglass boat of that age is probably a project, and an expensive one at that. Might be a worthwhile one if the drivetrain is good and you can get it extremely cheap. Head down to the restoration section to see what you might be up against.