Long trip suggestion boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhaley117

Recruit
I'm in search of a boat that has enough room to live and work and sleep on for an extended period of time. I'm going to end up starting on the Cumberland/Ohio River loop and eventually loop back around and I'm looking for suggestions of what I should be looking for

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think something with a beam of no more than 8 1/2 feet.----Would make it trailerable.-----Some 26' Searay models may fit the bill.-----Have you estimated fuel costs for such a trip ?

lwhaley117

Recruit
I think something with a beam of no more than 8 1/2 feet.----Would make it trailerable.-----Some 26' Searay models may fit the bill.-----Have you estimated fuel costs for such a trip ?
I would set it in, up towards Nashville (sort of) and then just start floating down the river and do the loop. I'd live on the boat and stop at any little dock/port cities I could along the way

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm in search of a boat that has enough room to live and work and sleep on for an extended period of time. I'm going to end up starting on the Cumberland/Ohio River loop and eventually loop back around and I'm looking for suggestions of what I should be looking for
welcome aboard

a boat with enough room to live/work/sleep will be larger than you are estimating. there is also the 2-3 hours of having the boat hauled. so are you looking for a trailerable boat or one needing a permit to be hauled? a proper boat will have a berth, shower, head, radar, GPS, Sonar, etc.

how handy are you? are you looking for a project boat or turn-key and go kind of boat? a project boat will cost you less initially, however may cost you more in the long run.

as Racerone eluded to, have you estimated fuel costs? express cruisers in the 20-25 foot range get about 2 MPG on a good day and 1/2 MPG when under load. the "little loop" you are mentioning is about 1050 miles at best, assume 1000 gallons of fuel will be consumed (you may only need 500). with marina prices over $5/gallon. plan accordingly

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would set it in, up towards Nashville (sort of) and then just start floating down the river and do the loop. I'd live on the boat and stop at any little dock/port cities I could along the way
What experience do you have as a boater? What is your budget for the proposed boat? When do plan to start the trip? The Cheatham lock will be mostly closed from May- August 2022. Do you know where the Cheatham lock is located?

alldodge

Staff member
Depends on what you mean by work? Took my Rinker 232 cuddy (sold in yesterday) and went from Louisville down to Pickwick Mississippi and back with wife and son. Would eat at State loges, marina's and such

Status
Not open for further replies.