Long time boater, 1st time buyer

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
now i have been doing alot of research on what to look for i have been a long time lurker on this site and i am quite mechanically inclined and know my way around a motor so i am just looking for the iboats opnion on a boat i am going to look at in the next week (as long as it is still for sale) the more input the better, i would rather spend my time on the water this summer then in the driveway fixing it like my buddy did last year

18' Thundercraft Diablo 185 Bowrider - Oshawa / Durham Region Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Oshawa / Durham Region Canada.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Long time boater, 1st time buyer

southern ontario

but i would never pay full price that is for sure, i was thinking if it as well taken care of as it seems (i know pictures dont tell the whole story) then i would be happy with paying in the 6 range, but nothing will happen without a through inspection and a water test, im not buying a pile like my buddy did last summer (even tho he paid less then a grand for it)

saumon

Lieutenant

Ok, that brand new GPS/SONAR alone is worth $500 and, can't say for the boat/engine but, to me, the fact that he made the trailer bunks out of cedar instead of PT lumber looks like he's the type to "do it right"...

Shoreleave

Cadet

I just bought a '94 Seaswirl (OMC/Volvo 5.0) for $6500 in the Pacific Northwest. It was overpriced compared to book but it was in unbelievably good condition.

It had been winterized and tuned up regularly but never had major maintenance. Took it to the marina and they replaced the belts, hoses, spark plug wires, impeller, aligned the engine/outdrive plus standard maintenance. The cost was $1450. The yearly winterization/tune-up will cost about $450.

Moral here is to budget for a sizable one-time maintenance bill if you're buying an 18 or 19 year old boat.

Grub54891

Admiral

Man I wish I could get away with charging that kind of rate!!!

I'd imagine they did the bellow's and gimble bearing too. It all takes time to replace everything,and parts cost money too.
Grub

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

All the labor rates in my area are $85 per hour. it does not take long to add up to a noticeable amount.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats why i prefer to work on my own stuff, if i dont know it i know someone that does and will show me what to do