Long shaft Vrs short shaft

Max7

Seaman
hello I have a wellcraft 21ft 1987 with no outboard motor and the transom on the back is 25 inches long I don't know if I would by long shaft or short shaft whats the diference I know a long shaft will fit but Im geting a good deal on a Evinrude outboard 200hp vro but the problem is tha is short shaft 20 inches,somebody could help me to know if short shaft would be good thank for any help or please write at solomax7@aol.com

piniongear

Seaman
Re: Long shaft Vrs short shaft

I think you can only use a long shaft engine on this boat. Any other member care to weigh in an opinion?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> short=15",long =20" and extra long is 25". you MUST use a 25" motor on that boat or your post will be the alarm horn(if it works)sounds 30 seconds after planeing. so if the model isnt a TX*** then it wont work.<br /> sorry to be a deal buster

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If you install a jackplate on your transom you will be able to use a 20". There would not be much cost effectiveness because the sort of jack plate you need would be roughly 400 dollars

Max7

Seaman

thank for the help guys I really apreciated ok I won't buy this 20 iches motor and wait to see if I could buy a 25 inches <br /> thanks again Max7