long shaft on 15" stearn

bsandy56

Cadet
I want to tow my pontoon to the boat ramp(about a mile) and I have a !4 ft. alu. boat with 15" transom and a 10 H P motor with long shaft. Would it work slow speed.? These darn motors are heavy for a old man and i would like to know if it would work before I put it on. Thanks ahead of time.
BSandy

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: long shaft on 15" stearn

Yep it will work just fine, Just don't forget as you approach shore that your motor's lower unit is hanging 5 inches lower then normal and you run the risk of tagging the bottom sooner.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you will probably get some splash back over the transom, due to the shaft being so deep. suggest a transom elevator of both boats.
http://www.iboats.com/Transom_Eleva...14319614--**********.755941114--view_id.40157

or make you own.

transomelevator001.jpg

MikDee

Banned

You should be okay, just remember to tighten the motor mount clamps good on the transom, I've seen motors be pushed up, to the left, with the help of the prop spinning clockwise, and off the transom by the water pressure pushing up on the longer lower unit :eek: But usually this only happens when you're planing along at a good speed. You might find some extra water spray coming from the lower unit at the back of the boat at medium speeds, but nothing you can't handle! ;) Hope this helps