Long distance towing.

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How'd, just wondering, I am about to tow my Bayliner 175 on a 1400 Km trip
that's one way. I have just put new complete hubs on both side with new mags and new tyres.
Any one see any drama's on a trip that long.

Thanks and merry xmas

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0

Ike-110722

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Long distance towing.

I towed a 17 foot sailboat across the country a few years back. Make sure everything on the trailer is working like new. Get good safety chains that don't use hooks. Mine have a link with a screw in place lock that keeps them from ever coming off. Make sure the boat is well secured to the trailer. This is not the two or three mile tow to the ramp. You can get good straps for anchoring the boat to the trailer at any trailer sales place. If you are going to use a tarp or cover on the boat, use one that is designed for that boat and fitted. Anything else will flog itself and the boat to death.

As for the tow vehicle, it should have a well anchored tow receiver and a good quality tow bar and ball. I haven't had it happen to me, but I know people who have had the ball break. make sure the ball is the size specified for the trailer. You would be surprised at how many people are running around the highways with a towing ball that is too small.

Last but hardly least a good spare tire for the trailer.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

How'd, just wondering, I am about to tow my Bayliner 175 on a 1400 Km trip
that's one way. I have just put new complete hubs on both side with new mags and new tyres.
Any one see any drama's on a trip that long.

Thanks and merry xmas

At each fuel stop, feel the center of the rim and make sure they are not blazing hot to the touch. I would also stop and retorque the lug nuts at 50-100 miles (its amazing how lug nuts work loose on new rims).

Merry Christmas to you too!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I agree with checking the torque on your new rims which look nice but I wouldn't use the center cap, it hides the hub which as previously stated you should check regularly for heat. Also bring a tire pressure gauge and check the trailer tire pressures regularly as well, I check at each gas fill along with the hitch straps etc pretty much a full once over of the rig as a whole.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Good advice above... I'd add that placing a ratchet strap over the very front edge of the cover will keep it from flapping itself to shreds - and keep the boat firmly attached to the trailer. I use 2, one across the bow and one across the stern.
One more thing is that I carry a floor jack. It's been handy a few times. Carry some blocks to prop things up, if needed.

NYBo

Admiral

Well, hitting a 'roo would create some drama!:p

Merry Christmas to all!

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, hitting a 'roo would create some drama!:p

Merry Christmas to all!

I think the Rooo would come off second best as I have a very solid bullbar.
Also very few Roo's around during the day time. I don't plan on driving at night.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

A spare tire of course,jack,lug wrench and some hand tools for things that could vibrate loose,maybe an extra hub assembly and an extra strap or two...
Should be good to go!

Safe travels Mate!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

One more thing is that I carry a floor jack. It's been handy a few times. Carry some blocks to prop things up, if needed.

I second this comment. Long ago I learned of the advantages of having a hydraulic jack as compared to the crappy one they give you with your vehicle. You'll be very glad you've got one if you ever actually have to use it.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I tow my 24' pontoon boat on a dual axle trailer 350 miles one way to Canada for vacation ( holiday ) three times a year. Before the spring trip, hubs are repacked with fresh grease, bearings adjusted , tires inspected ( looked at closely ) and air pressure set a 5 lbs under max settings. ( ie, 90 psi max gets 85 psi )

I have TWO spares and carry a floor jack and a fair amount of tools.
I have this set I purchase at Sears
DCP_3556A.jpg

plus plus carry larger wrenches and larger sockets plus a 1/2" breaker bar.

At every stop, I lightly touch each trailer tire and hub to make sure they're not too hot. I do a quick walk around to make sure everything on the trailer is in place ( hold down straps still attached & any items in the boat still secured ). My first stops are close together ( 20 miles and then at 50 miles )and later they are checked at gas stops. I keep looking in my mirrors to make sure the tires look OK as I'm driving too.

This seems to work well for me as in over 10,000 miles of trailering, I've had one flat tire and one broken spring perch from a construction pothole in the road.

Jeff