Loking for omc outdrive lower end?

Calebbrown77

Seaman
Hi everyone I'm looking for a omc cobra outdrive lower end for a 5.7 350 or if I can replace the whole outdrive
Ps its for a 1989 VIP valiant

Calebbrown77

Seaman
Re: Loking for omc outdrive lower end?

Also whT outdrive would I need to put on a 5.7 350 chevy motor

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi everyone I'm looking for a omc cobra outdrive lower end for a 5.7 350 or if I can replace the whole outdrive
Ps its for a 1989 VIP valiant

Howdy,

If your boat is an 89 model, you'll need either an 88 or 89 model 1.43:1 Cobra I believe. Your engine/drive could either be an 89 or an 88.

Serial number will determine.

Why do you think you need only the "lower"?

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Well the person I am getting the boat from says the lower unit is out but what if I want to change the whole outdrive could I change it to mercruiser? An which would be more expensive? An which would last longer? An it is a 89 it has a omc cobra on it right now connected to a 5.7 350 motor so which is beat?

pvmtsux

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are numerous thread on here advising new boat owners to sta awy from OMCs. They have been out of business for 15 years and parts can be very difficult to find. Unless you have alerady purchased this boat and it's too late, I suggest you rethink your purchase and try and find a Merc.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=463806

Bondo

Staff member

There are numerous thread on here advising new boat owners to sta awy from OMCs. They have been out of business for 15 years and parts can be very difficult to find. Unless you have alerady purchased this boat and it's too late, I suggest you rethink your purchase and try and find a Merc.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=463806

Ayuh,... There are numerous threads in several forums explaining this to this poster,...

Calebbrown77,.... At this point, you have No Clue as to what this barge needs,...
You've done No diagnostics...

Don't go buyin' parts, til you figure out What's Broken...

pvmtsux

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,... There are numerous threads in several forums explaining this to this poster,...

Calebbrown77,.... At this point, you have No Clue as to what this barge needs,...
You've done No diagnostics...

Don't go buyin' parts, til you figure out What's Broken...

@ Bond-O, I have just read through all the previous discussion about this money pit this poor boy is about to buy. I guess it's a lost cause.

@ Calebbrown77, Not really sure why you came on here to ask advice and questions from seasoned boat owners and marine mechanics and completely disregard all advice given. Boats are very fickle and intricate machines. Keeping them in the water can be VERY expensive even for guys that can do the work themselves. The seasonal maintenance alone can be costly. I think every boat owner would agree that a SOLID power plant, drive and hull are the VERY basics that you MUST have when buying a new boat, everything else can be dealt with time and money and still allow you to be in the water. Believe me when I tell you that there is nothing worse (other than sinking) than being stranded in the middle of a body of water and needing to rely on someone to come along and tow you in. You should really heed the advice given to you by much more experienced boaters. Right now you could EASILY be looking at a $4K pit (without doing the cosmetics you spoke of in another thread). If you?re ready to drop that kind of dough, go on Craigslist and find a $4K boat with a Merc. that has no issues (other than maybe cosmetics or minor interior quirks).

We're seriously tryin' to help you out here buddy but there's only so much we can do. If you buy that boat I can almost guarantee you'll be spending A LOT more time on here trying to figure out how to fix what's broken then on the water.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well the person I am getting the boat from says the lower unit is out but what if I want to change the whole outdrive could I change it to mercruiser? An which would be more expensive? An which would last longer? An it is a 89 it has a omc cobra on it right now connected to a 5.7 350 motor so which is beat?

Ok..

You have not bought the boat yet.

DO NOT BUY THE BOAT.

There's a lot of boats out there with no problems for less than the amount of money you would spend buying that boat and replacing the drive etc.....

Good luck,

Rick