Loctite

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
I,m ready to transfer some brackets etc to my new reman powerhead. Ihe thread lock sealer on the old bolts looks to be yellow. Is regular strenght permatex (blue) suitable? I know the manual specifies an OMC product, but this is what I alrady have. <br />Are there any bolts that should not get loctite? I have to remove some of the main bearing case bolts, how about these. They did no appear to have any on the old ones.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Loctite

Blue Loctite is for fasteners that you want to be able to remove again. Red Loctite is for more permanent situations. The yellow stuff you're referring to is known as a patch and it comes on the bolt.<br /><br />I use Red on internal fasteners and Blue on external ones as a general rule. I use one or the other on nearly all boat motor fasteners that don't have a locknut. As far as I know, the OMC products are the same stuff with OMC labels.

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Loctite

Willy, interesting to run into you again. :) When you mentioned that OMC products are rebranded loctite, would this be Quickloc for blue and Ultraloc for red? Also, does loctite have any anti-corrosive properties? <br /><br />I'm finally coming to the conclusion that OMC Gasket Sealing Compound has a bit of thread sealer, corrosion inhibitor, and thread locker all in the same package. When in doubt, use the Gasket Sealer? I can't think of a case where using gasket sealer on threads would do any harm. I'm paranoid about corrosion/seizing on those aluminum alloy engines and the factory manual doesn't always specifiy what to use.<br /><br />At my local dealer, a mechanic said he uses loctite or OMC Gasket Sealer for just about everything. He puts in the head bolts dry. I understand this is to get the correct tourqe out of them, but for saltwater use, those bolts will seize for sure!