location of winch

danny k

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 28'pontoon with tandem axle trailer. When the rig is not connected to the towing vehicle it sits perfectly level.In other words, zero tounge weight. I think this was probably due to a larger ob replacement. I have plenty of room to move winch forward, increasing tounge weight, but can anyone give me an idea just how much forward it needs to be moved? :confused: <br /><br />Like I said, when unhooked it sits perfectly level.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Danny K.

danny k

Seaman Apprentice
Re: location of winch

Sorry guys, wrong heading. Correct heading should have been "location of winch". Tried to edit but no luck.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

You'll have to weigh your boat/trailer combo with all normal gear & fluids in it to know the answer to this question. Find a local truck stop or someplace else with a scale. <br /><br />Then move the winch forward until you have generally between 5% and 8% of the total weight resting on the tongue. This tongue weight can easily be measured at home with a common bathroom scale.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Get the boat positioned correctly on the trailer with the bunks or rollers even with the transom, then move the axles to get the correct tongue weight.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Good advice for most boats, but he's asking about a pontoon boat. No transom. However, I agree that moving axles is certainly another method to consider for adjusting tongue weight, if the axles can be moved. Not possible without cutting/welding on many trailers.

rwidman

Lieutenant

OK, but the pontoons should be fully supported, right? And any excess bunk sticking out behind the boat will just get in the way of launching and retrieving. Both ways will work, you have to make the best choice for the situation. <br /><br />I had to move my winch post to get the transom supported amd move the axles to get the tongue weight correct. Torrison axles bolt on, the heat of welding would ruin them.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I agree, you can't ignore your bunk position when moving the boat forward. Good points.