Location of oil fill cap on Mercruiser 140

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
I just recently purchased a boat with a Mercruiser 140 4 cylinder on it and I've started looking it over preparatory to firing it up for the first time. I am unsure of the year (boat is a '77) but if it is of help its serial number is 4651281. My question is where is the oil fill cap on these motors? I see where the filter and drain plugs are, and there is a cap about 2" wide right on top of the motor. I opened it and nary a drop of oil do I see..... is this the fill spot or something else? Also, does anyone know the oil capacity? Google was not very helpful :(

Thanks!

superbenk

Commander
Re: Location of oil fill cap on Mercruiser 140

You got it right, you put the new oil in the hole in the top of the valve cover on the top of the engine. Just like a car.

ziggy

Admiral

get a mercruiser service manual. it will have all the info you need to service your boat in it. you need either s/m #1 or #2 depending on year... i got mine off ebay... invaluable tool... a must have tool even. if your gonna work on your rig anyways..

yep, the cap of top of the valve cover is where ya put the oil in it.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Thanks folks! Yep, owners manual is on order, so it should be here soon. And thanks Don, looks like a TON of good info there!