Load Rite Trailer Rollers scratching the hull?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
We recently purchased a 2000 SunDeck with a LoadRite dual axle trailer with rollers. I "think" I have found some new deep scratches (I see the fiberglass) near the bow of the boat. There is a bowguard on the boat from the previous owner, and the scratches are near the boawguard. There is also black markings from the rollers in the vincinity of the scratches. I filled in those scratches right away with MarineTex, and am wondering if they were there before (they do not look like new scratches) however am perplexed how it would have happened so easily? I thought as I winch the boat up onto the trailer, the bow might be banging into the trailer, but am not sure? Any ideas? Do I need to change the rollers? All of them?

Thanks everyone...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Load Rite Trailer Rollers scratching the hull?

Who setup the trailer? The boat should not be touching anything but the rollers.

You'll get black marks from the black rubber rollers. Suggest when the time comns yopu change them out for the non-marking, colored rollers.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the response. I assume the trailer was originally set up for the boat when the original owner bought both trailer and boat. I am not sure the hull is touching anything other than the rollers, I just think its odd I have these deep (to the fiberglass) scratches, perhaps they were there before, hence the hullguard, however given my launchramp is not very deep, I am not able to completely submerge the trailer when pulling the boat back up on the trailer, so I need to winch the boat up on the trailer at least 8 feet or so, just worried I am doing something wrong. Thx...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The problem may be how deep you?re putting the trailer in the water too deep.

With the floating roller bunks, you need the hull to help align the roller bunks into position during retrieval. If you put the trailer in too deep the hull could be hitting the trailers super structure before it self aligns itself on the roller bunks.

Then again it could be the case where the dealer didn?t bother to fit the trailer. They just threw the boat on the trailer and out the door it went.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again. how deep is too deep? What I try to do is get least the first few sets of rollers submerged, as it is, it is very difficult for me to winch the boat up. Should no rollers be submerged? Perhaps I need to grease the rollers...

Perhaps you are right that the trailer is not proper for the boat, however the boat surveyor I hired before I boat the boat did not say that, for what it is worth.

BlueDL1000

Cadet

I had a similar problem with my 14' aluminum boat. The boat was hitting the sharp metal bracket that held the keel roller (mid boat) when retrieving the boat. I solved the problem by using a longer roller shaft and urethane end caps on the outside of the bracket (making a sandwich that prevents contact between the boat and bracket).

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I submerge my trailers fenders, thus both of the rear roller sets. have a pair of knee high boots to wear to hook up the winch strap with, and only have to winch up 3 ft at the most. boat weighs 7000 lbs.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks again. how deep is too deep? What I try to do is get least the first few sets of rollers submerged, as it is, it is very difficult for me to winch the boat up. Should no rollers be submerged? Perhaps I need to grease the rollers...

Perhaps you are right that the trailer is not proper for the boat, however the boat surveyor I hired before I boat the boat did not say that, for what it is worth.
It varies by the angle of the ramp but generally speaking I back mine down to where I can still stand on the front of the fender. That leaves the front portion of the rear roller bunk just slighly below the surface of the water. Leaves me 6-8 foot of winching to be done. If I back in any further the rear of the boat will not center itself when I pull out.

The rollers are running on plastic "bearings" inside the roller. If the rollers don't turn easily the rollers have most likely been crushed and need replaced.

A surveyor would have no clue if the trailer was setup properly or not.