LO thump

lcdr frank

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 96 DuroBoat with a 30HP Rude, 96 also. In the last 4 months I have noticed a thump as if I hit some thing with my foot. It only happens when I put it in fwd and throttle hits about 2500 rpm's. I have swapped props, marked the hubs and checked for slippage...Nada. I removed the shift cable and manually shifted to no avail. If I back down the throttle to idle and bring it back up it does NOT thump. If I go to N or REV and go back to FWD it will thump. Any ideas?????

Frank

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: LO thump

Sure, worn clutch dog and fwd gear. Usually caused by "gentle" shifting. Remote chance it's only a shift cable adjustment.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have had that thump for awhile you can probably plan on replacing the forward gr and shift dog as the edges are now rounded off. Also if you do, check all the shift linkages from the control box down to the lower unit for anything being loose or worn.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

As stated you may be able to adjust that out b ut it is certainly the clutchdog.

Shift into forward, engine off, and see which way the shift linkage moves and adjust it a few turns that direction, it may take care of it.

As wilde1 said, it is wear caused by shifting, when you shift you should do it really quick, you want it ot get into gear as fast as possible.

Te lower has 3 gears and the clutchdog, the gears are always turning if the engine is running and the cllutchdog move forward or back to engage the gear, there are "ears" that slide into spots on the gears, over time theose get rounded off and slip under load, the thumping you heard.