Livewell Timer Pod Wiring

Hoot222

Recruit
Thanks in advance to all you folks who share your time and knowledge on the forum. I'll try to keep it short. Livewell pump works in manual but not in auto. Five wire Timer pod. Wires l to r- Red, Yellow&Yellow in same hole,Black, Brown. With switch in manual, voltages at Timer Pod are 0, 0, 0, and 12.6, l to r. In Auto voltages are 12.6, 5.6, 0, 0 l to r. Yellow wires not connected, didn't seem to make any difference if connected. Timer wires - Red goes to 1 on switch, Black goes to ground on fuse box, Brown goes to 3 on switch and to pump. I think the Timer Pod is probably bad! Is it wired correctly? Do you think the timer is bad? Would a Rig Rite 520 be the correct replacement? Thanks again for your expertise. Hoot

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well Hoot, :welcome: to iboats...

Now, let's try to figure out what you are dealing with. SOunds like you have a manual/sutomatic live well pump that works in the manual mode but not in the auto mode. If that is correct then at least you know a few things. And that is the wire from the poser (battery) are correct, and the switch and live well pump works as well. So the automatic option isn't doing the job.

I have no idea about the wires and colors you mentioned and even the switch setup. You need to pop up a picture or three of the switch and how the wires are attached to in so we can try to understand your setup. Is the automatic mode adjustable? Does it have a control to vary the time intervals or it is fixed? When you switch to timer mode, it takes some time before that switches on the live well pump. How long did you wait for that to happen?

Post the pictures and even the wires going to the pump itself so we can help you figure this out...

Hoot222

Recruit
Red from timer goes to 1 on switch, black from timer is grounded to the fuse box, Brown from timer is connected to the green wire on the switch which is connected to #3 on the switch and then runs to the pump. The yellow wires are not connected to anything or to each other. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo337693.png
    photo337693.png
    818 KB · Views: 7
  • photo337694.png
    photo337694.png
    770.3 KB · Views: 8

Hoot222

Recruit
Also, I did wait 8-10 min. to see if the pump would run. No luck. It hasn't worked in automatic since I've had the boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With a switch like that (looks like a SPDT) the center terminal #2 is where the power comes in. Then as you flip the switch either up or down, you direct that power to either the live well pump itself direct, or the live well timer. So if you can run the live well pump direct, that is working and you know it is not the pump. When you flip the switch for the timer and it does nothing, seems the timer could be the problem. But check the pump to see if there are wires from that timer circuit. I have no idea about the two yellow wires unless they went to a variable knob that would control the time intervals. So if that is how it was initially designed, and that does make sense, you are missing that variable resister called a potentiometer.

I would say trace to see where those two yellow wires go. And if they are going nowhere, and that would confirm a missing potentiometer. Then you can short those two wires together and see if the timer starts working. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens myself. And then we can move on from there...

Is there a center off position on that switch. I am assuming so...

sam am I

Commander
Rig-Rite Wiring.........So looks like when the "pod" gets powered (Brown = 12V) on its red wire (switch in auto), then the green wire powers the pump and should be auto cycling power on and off to the pump. Else with switch in manual, the pump gets 12V direct. Think your Pod's auto function is toast.

But double check the wiring as per the drawing, someone may have been in it and hack it wrong for ya...........

The yellow BTW is to select timing intervals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A9RAAD3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	10916863

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well that settles that.

How does the yellow pair change the time intervals if they are merely looped together. And if that is supposed to be looped together, why run them off to some other place? You would think they would loop at the connector or even inside the circuit pod... Seems there would be a switch to at least open and close them for a time change? But that schematic does show exactly what he has.

sam am I

Commander
Not sure GM and good catch, there are suppose to be two dedicated pins that the single yellow wire loops on, then to change the timing, you'd cut/break the loop......The Pod should then have 5 pins total HOWEVER, his looks like 4 pins to me...Hmmm. I know the company also made a 3 pin model with non-adj timing that wires the same. There is also a 4 pin model that is a timer BUT, it has a yeller body and has a extra feature that "dims the boats headlights"? At 2.5 amps? WTF? Maybe they meant dash lights?...........

#540........

Control your fishing boat's headlights for a longer life span with Rig Rite's 4-Pin Timer Pod. Use with a Momentary Rocker or Rotary Switch. You can control the light intensity emitting from your boat's headlights with this dimmer control. It is compatible with most 14 ft. to 22 ft. fishing boats. Refer to manufacturer recommendations to ensure a proper fit.
  • Dimmer control
  • On- off-on function
  • Use with momentary rocker or rotary switch
  • Load should not exceed 2.5 Amp
  • Refer to manufacturer recommendations to ensure a proper fit
Rig Rite

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, i could see those yellow pair shorted allowing a short time interval and if they were open a longer time depending on the resister they are shorting across when closed. The typical live well timers use the famous 555 timer and the two thirds one third setup allows one resister to be shorted giving a faster charging time. Just an idea never have opened one...

So if seem odd those wires are shown looped meaning it has to be one fixed time interval. JMHO

sam am I

Commander
Agreed and agreed......

Just for fun/waste more time,......BUT!! As an SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL example as such,

With Loop....Off:70 Sec, On:10 Sec

Click image for larger version  Name:	555_fast.jpg Views:	1 Size:	209.2 KB ID:	10916986

w/o Loop....Off:130 Sec, ON:10 Sec

Click image for larger version  Name:	555_slow.jpg Views:	1 Size:	205.2 KB ID:	10916985

Last edited:

Hoot222

Recruit
Went back and double checked and plug does indeed only have 4 pins. Both yellow wires go to the same pin. My boat doesn't have any type of headlights so I wouldn't think that would come into play! Best I can tell it is wired correctly. Just ordered a Rig Rite 520. When I get it installed I will give you an update! Thanks

sam am I

Commander
Yeah, I think the yellow is tied back on itself because it is a model 540 (although red body) and they didn't use the dimmer function. The 540 (I think) also has the timer function and its shot........Good call on ordering a new 520, I'd agreed. And please do let us know, thx.

Hoot222

Recruit
New one right, old one on the left. New one wired in and runs in auto. I was afraid to let it run too long dry as it sounds like the pump is on its last leg. I assume it would cycle OK given time. May need a new pump soon but at least I know that it will run. Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• photo337985.png
    photo337985.png
    950.7 KB · Views: 4

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, problem solved. Sure wish I could get my hands on your old one to dissect for future knowledge.

Have a great day and make sure you replace the pump if you think it is going to stop any time soon... Happy boating!