Livewell Overflow Question

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I was just curios before I start drilling 1' + holes threw my hull if it was a better idea to have my overflow go out the side of my live well or threw a tube down and out the transom. Here is a very bare drawing I did in paint to show you both spots I have considered for my overflow. Thanks. I'm sorry, the red indicates the overflow lines. The rest is just my boat and the threw hull aerator and hose to it.

Attachments

• Livewell Question.jpg
    Livewell Question.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Livewell Overflow Question

Every boat I have owned had the overflow going directly from the well to the side of the boat. I would guess this would be the quickest and easiest. From the bottom of the well to the closest point of the boat. Just make sure there are no kinks. I had a section of shrimp get caught in mine one time. I didn't know until I went to use the boat a week later! :eek:

Also, make sure your overflow/drain is right at the waterline. This way, there won't be any stains from the overflow down the side of your boat.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

On my bait tank, the outlet just runs out a pipe over the transom:
BaitTank2.jpg

But then, this is a removable setup, not permanent mount. Plus, I hate holes in hulls. ;)

In any case, the outlet has to be at the level you want the water in the tank, and any piping after that of course has to be all down-hill. Depending on your set up, it may be impossible to go over the gunwale/transom if you have high freeboard or if the tank doesn't sit up high like mine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The easiest and simplest is the standpipe. One less hole in the hull and one less thing to go wrong. You need a drain in the bottom anyway. Insert a standpipe of appropriate length. The only issue is getting one with the rubber fitting on the end that fits the drain.

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

The easiest and simplest is the standpipe. One less hole in the hull and one less thing to go wrong. You need a drain in the bottom anyway. Insert a standpipe of appropriate length. The only issue is getting one with the rubber fitting on the end that fits the drain.

Ok tutor me on this "Standpipe". The way I think would be best was going to be out the transom that way the water in the tank can be lower because naturaly the transom will be the lowest point of my boat. The tank itself is about 24"-30" long and 16" wide so it's rather big. Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated! Out the side will also work I just think I won't be able to have as little amount of water as I want in there if I go that route.

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

Is it a pipe that sits vertical at the height of which I want the water to fill to, then drains down to a 90 degree fitting where the water then follows a tube/ pipe to the threw hull fitting in my transom and out the boat?