Livewell Drain

cqb408

Recruit
Has anyone come across this lovely problem? I cant believe that the factory would even pass something like this let alone sell it knowing that it cant be right. Ive never used the livewell before and after I bought this boat from its original owner, I started to fish and found this issue. They have installed the drain stem pinched in half and it does not drain. Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this crap. My boat is a 1998 1800CC

Attachments

• DSCN6026.JPG
    DSCN6026.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 0

samuels

Cadet
Re: Livewell Drain

Are you able to reach it to replace it.Cut or chip the foam ouy.There are a few products that will help break up the foam.I think I sprayed johnson engine tuner on foam before to soften it up.Not sure but alot of different products should work.As far as quality of any boats are concerned you wouldn't believe the screw ups that come in on new boats.I work part time as a boat rigger and I have seen about everything.We have pulled the decks off of boats to fix problems like this.I don't think they check the plumbing at all.They also like to use the bilge for a trash can.Good Luck

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

I do not know about your particular boat...but with mine....
just wait till you need to get at the bilge/livewell pumps. Mine are under the gas tank, which in itself is hard to get out, but having to empty it blah blah blah to even check a pump is a real pain in the neck.
but that silliness is kind of common for my era boat regardless of manufacturer.

as far as your problem...
I cannot see in the picture whether the area below the drain is hard hull or is it foam and somewhat workable?

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Get a small thru hull fitting of similar size. remove the old fitting, marine tex over the old hole and re drill at a better angle for drainage. remember most boat yards employ people that are just that, people. sloppy, maybe a friday build before a holiday who knows. that's what 12-15 dollars an hour labor gets you.