Live Well Questions

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am planning on installing a live well in the back of my boat. My questions are:<br /><br />Plumbing: I purchased a bronze thru-hull water pickup and valve. I want to keep fresh saltwater coming in while underway, as well as, while im at rest.<br /><br />What is the proper way to install the inline pump? Is there any special components that i need? Anyone that has a system like this, feel free to post. Thanks in advance!<br /><br />(Oh and do you think the thru-hull water pickup will create enough drag to slow me down?)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Live Well Questions

I think you got nailed down... I have a similar setup on my little boat and I'm installing the same set up on my big boat pretty soon...<br /><br />Thru hull, then valve, then pump, and hose to livewell....Thats it... Only other thing you may want to add is another valve somewhere after the pump in a place that's easy to get to so you can shut off the flow when you don't want to use the livewell, because the water will flow thru the pump when your running even with the pump turned off...<br /><br /> On the overflow drain side, use big fittings and hose, like 1 1/2" or larger so the livewell dose'nt actually overflow but still circulates.....<br /><br />I don't think it'll slow ya down too much if at all... Maybe 1-2mph at most... Just don't mount the thru hull anyplace where it will obstruct water flow to the propeller...

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How far off the keel should I mount the raw water pick-up???<br /><br />And check this out-<br /> http://www.flow-rite.com/marine/ <br /><br />They seem to have a pretty sweet setup. (They also state that high water pressure (high-speed) is bad for the pump, and should use their 'vortex' attachment between the thruhull/seacock and pump.

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before permanently installing your livewell you may want to take a portable tank of similar size, fill it with water and place it in various locations in your boat to see how it will effect balance and performance. My current boat was poorly designed by the manufacturer. The livewell is on the drivers side of the boat and when full causes the boat to list considerably when even 1/2 full. An improperly placed livewell is more likely to cause performance problems than the water pickup.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well this livewell is actually in the front seat of the center console. Dead center port/star...And slightly back of center forward/aft. It should work out great. Ive been doing alot of research on the systems...<br /><br />Im going to go with the "Flow-Rite System 4". I have a bronze high speed thru-hull fitting with seacock.<br /><br />My last question is on the pumps. I was looking at the Rule Dual Port, or the Shur-flo Bait-Sentry. The Rule is about ~$30. The Bait-Sentry is ~$60.<br /><br />They both have the 'dual port' to hook up a washdown pump. The rule has a removeable motor cartridge. I dont think the bait-sentry has that. But my guess is that the Bait Sentry is much better quality.<br /><br />Anyone know which is the better buy. Rule or the Shur-flo Bait-Sentry????