Live well overflow question

Drobles83

Cadet
I have a livewell that had a livewell pump that wasn't working. At that time water would trickle into livewell and stop when it got to overflow. Water did not come into livewell from overflow.

I have installed a new rule livewell pump at transom and replaced the hose leading from livewell pump to livewell. When I went to the lake, the livewell pump worked great with timer, but water now enters my livewell through overflow. The overflow does not have a shut off lever, it remains open at all times. Water did not come in through overflow opening into livewell, before. Now it fills the livewell through overflow and I can't recycle water very well since it stays at overflow level. Can anyone help.

David

Last edited:

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Live well overflow question

Something is fish so to speak, it would almost have to be plumbed wrong, on mine the drain and fill are completely separate.
Is there anywhere else for the water to come in, without seeing what you have it is hard to say but something isn't right.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Livewell over flow Should be higher than the water outside the boat. The overflow water should come out and run down hill to the drain. If the drain output is below the water then it is important for it to be in a area where flow will not force water into the live well. It should be a natural flow from the overflow down and out the drain into the water.

Many boat will use the same water output for the overflow and the livewell drain. The livewell drain on many bass boats is below the river water level so if the drain plug is out some water can come into the bottom of the livewell on it own but should be well below the overflow level.

Drobles83

Cadet

My livewell contains the following: in-flow from the transom live well pump, a overflow that is right next to my in-flow and a drain plug. My overflow has a hose that runs to my transom next to my boat drain plug and the transom live well pump in flow. I was at the lake today and water continues to come in through my overflow. I feel I can't set my timer on my live well pump in fear it will overflow out of my livewell. I am very puzzled. Do you think I have a small leak in my hose that runs from my overflow to transom output? I have no idea what the problem is. Thanks for your help and time in trying to solve this problem.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The only way that makes sense is if your live well is below the level of water in the lake or river. A leak in the overflow/drain hose would fill the bilge with water not the livewell.

Water will flow down hill not uphill.

Is your over flow hose connected to the livewell at a level below the water level in the lake or river???

If it is was this livewell just installed or the bilge full of water or heavy gear making the boat sit low in the water.

If the overflow is below the water level then you have to raise the livewell or raise the boat higher in the water.

Drobles83

Cadet

Boatist,

I was at Bass Pro Shop this weekend and asked the marine guy the same question. He responded with the same answer you had. Since, I installed my pump, a friend that goes about 300 lbs. has fished with me. He sits at the back of the boat. That probably has caused the level of water outside of boat to be higher than the overflow. This is logical and the question has been answered. Thanks everyone for all you input.

Note to self: Get a skinny fishing partner. Ha Ha