Live well issues-- pump runs/ no water on the way! Fish aren't happy-

slayer2

Seaman
I have issues- dang!

My live well pump runs and all, but it does not pump water to the live well. the intake screen on the transom is clear and everything looks good. The valve in the live well is open as well. Thought about taking a garden hose and inserting it in the intake on the transom and seeing if the pump will pick up the water and pump it to the resevoir .... any ideas why this is? it should not be this hard... :mad:

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Live well issues-- pump runs/ no water on the way! Fish aren't happy-

Ok so I know nothing about live wells but I know a little about pumps so take it for what it's worth. It sounds like something is blocking your intake. The pump could be burned out but chances are if you can hear it running and it doesn't sound funny it's probably just blocked.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Also, follow the hoses to see that all connections are good.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Try the garden hose (just to prime the pump). Live well pumps are centrifugal pumps and if they are worn out a bit, they have difficulty evacuating the air as they are not positive displacement pumps. If you can force a little water into the pump, it might be able start the pumping action.

slayer2

Seaman

Try the garden hose (just to prime the pump). Live well pumps are centrifugal pumps and if they are worn out a bit, they have difficulty evacuating the air as they are not positive displacement pumps. If you can force a little water into the pump, it might be able start the pumping action.

yeah... ok... one guy I know puts his boat in reverse for a second when pump is running and that is all it takes.. I will try all of this and see what happens

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Live well pumps are usually mounted at the transom below the waterline, so they don't need priming.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Live well pumps are usually mounted at the transom below the waterline, so they don't need priming.

A lot of them are, but not all. Mine were mounted approx 2' from the live well, roughly 10" above the water line. Since he didn't supply any info about his boat, I just offered another option.

slayer2

Seaman

twisted the top off of the pump tonight and everything looks good; ran the pump and the impellar spins freely... no reason why it should not pump other than it needs a simple prime :confused:

slayer2

Seaman

yeah, that is what I would think also- I will have to stick my head out back of the transom when in the water and make sure it is below the water line... it would be stupid for them to make it above it... the boat is a 2003 1760 fishhawk crestliner

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Agree with the transom location for livewell pumps, I've never seen one mounted at the tank. The aereation pump is a recirc pump and is usually mounted near the livewell. Are you sure you got the right switch. Follow the hoses.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can try Fireman431's idea with the hose, but jam it up tight against the intake. If you can seal the hose at the intake good enough, you may be able to force water all the way through to the livewell. There may be a mudwasp nest or minnow or something blocking a hose.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

every livewell pump installation that I have troubleshot has been either the pump was run dry and melted the case, or the plumbing had broken plastic fittings. This has been the case on 5 out of 5 boats that I fixed the livewell plumbing on. the manufacturers us the cheap nylon fittings that last about 5 years.

with the boat on the trailer:

first, pull the screen off (its just threaded on), pull the discharge hose off the pump (you may need to stand on your head in most boats for this one). I have an icecream pail that has a hole in the side near the bottom. the hole just slides over the livewell pump, secure with the screen. fill the bucket then turn it on. if it sprays water and empties the icecream pail then the pump is good. if the pump runs and does nothing, then the pump is bad
next pressure test the lines from the pump to the live well. if the line holds no pressure, you have a break in the plumbing. if the line pressurizes however does not flow, you have a blockage

following these simple techniques, you will find the problem.

if you replace the pump, use 5200 or 4200
replacing fittings - use glass filled nylon at a minimum. I switch to brass myself.

fishrdan

Admiral

Give the priming thing a try.

I was out a couple months ago and the livewell wouldn't fill, I could hear the pump buzzing away, but no water flow. When I got home I shoved a garden hose in the pump intake and blasted it while running the pump. It's been pumping fine the last 5-6 trips...

Scott has some good troubleshooting tips. When I got my boat the livewell hoses were stuffed with chopped up weeds, like 2-3 feet of weed particles cloggin up the hoses. (I have a feeling the PO of my boat couldn't use the livewell anymore :facepalm:)

slayer2

Seaman

live well is good to go.... used a spray hose and a nozzle tip on the end and shot a high pressure shot of water from the opening in the live well and it gurgled a bit and then shoved the garden hose in the intake on the transom and turned the pump on and it worked ... thanks all for the help.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out. I wish more people would do that.