Live well and deck drains?

Ejay

Cadet
Hello all this is my first post, I have a 2002 FD 228 ref. From what I can tell it seems that my live well and the drains in the rear corners of the deck drain into the bilge, this really suprises me as it seems if my bilge pump quit working while the live well pump was pumping I could fill the bilge and possibly sink the boat. If I am correct on how this plumbing is run I think I need to add a thru hull fitting near the live well about the height of the bottom of the well and drain there. Any ideas, am I missing something, I have only had this boat since july.
Thanks
Ej

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Live well and deck drains?

You are correct.

All the freshwater and deck self bailing systems on Hurricane boats have designated through hull exit ports. All are connected directly to each device via hose/clamp system. It's possible the clamp came loose, and a hose fell off the fitting. I noticed some, well quite a bit of (not the greatest quality craftsmanship with regards to behind the scene finish work) on my new boat!!!!!! :mad: I was adding some electronics and re-rigging it, I noticed the rear wash-down hose clamp loose, and I had pink RV antifreeze in my bilge, and along the port side inner hull by freshwater H2O tank. The hose clamp on the tank was also loose!

If possible you cannot find and resolve the issue, take the boat to a authorized dealer. Godfrey Marine may have a safety warranty issue to deal with. This summer I witnessed an older Hurricane at a local repair shop that had it's livewell drain hose pinched off when the factory installed the cap on the hull, making flow nearly impossible. It eventually became 100% plugged with debris and stopped the flow, hence boat at repair shop.

Ejay

Cadet

You say that "All the freshwater and deck self bailing systems on Hurricane boats have designated through hull exit ports" but on mine the only thru hull hole is on the upper rear starboard side. This thru hole is only connected to the bilge pump, the live well return line and deck scuppers drain directly to the bilge, I think that if they were teed into the bilge pump discharge line they would be to high to drain. I feel like I may be missing something but the only other thru hull holes are the drain plug and the live well intake. I plan to put in the thru hull for the live well and add a back-up bilge pump, I believe this will take care of my concerns over these drains. This is the only real problem I have seen with this boat, my wife and I love it, rides a little rough in heavy chop but we live on the sound and don't have much heavy stuff.
Thanks
Ej

bear_69cuda

Commander

Maybe things changed with later years.

My boat has 7 factory through hull fittings and one extra I added for 2nd bilge pump I added this summer.

#1 is forward on port side, and drains sink
#2 is aft just at water line on port side and is port side deck drain
#3 is starboard deck drain aft at water line.
#4 is the live wall drain with shutoff valve located on port side of lower stern
#5 is the bilge drain
#6 is the auto-bilge through hull
#7 is on forward starboard side. Drain to front seat compartments.
#8 is the bilge pump through hull I added.

All but # 5 have hose connecting them to all mentioned above...

I can get some pics up soon maybe tomorrow...

Actually my boat has 9 if you count the livewell pick-up...

Ejay

Cadet

Thanks alot Bear.

It seems very odd to me that they would design my boat with the live well discharging into the bilge but I am pretty certain they did, but it should be easy enough to remedy this problem. I also think a 2nd bilge pump is a great idea.
Thanks again.
Ej

bear_69cuda

Commander

And strange they would have deck scuppers drain into the bilge? If you were caught in a storm and the bilge pump failed the boat sinks.... Second bilge pump is always a good thing! Good luck with the mods, it should be a simple fix...

We love pictures of Hurricanes!

Post a few when you get some time!

Ejay

Cadet

I was wrong , there is another thru-hull it is beside the drain plug, I know the scuppers don't drain there but the live well may if it drains below the waterline. I will investigate the plumbing later but now its time to go striper fishing.

Have a good one !
Ej