Little ******* wont start

Chesterfield

Cadet
I have a mid 80s mercury outboard.Its a 3.5 horse, and i think it was made in china or japan, one of those yellow countries. anyway it takes about 20 pulls before it will go. its got good plugs and i have the choke on for cold starts but te little **** just wont go until after about 20 yanks. whats up

NathanY

Commander
Re: Little ******* wont start

Does it have a primer ball? Are you pumping it?, Or is it one of those down flow carbs with the integrated tank, if so, make sure the fuel line is clear, and the fuel valve is turned all the way on.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Try talking nice to it without the racial epithets and maybe it will start quicker. This is after all an international forum. The problem is not the country of origin but either the fuel system or ignition. Squirt some premix in the carb and see if it starts any quicker if so its running lean and you can try to open up the idle mixture screw. Check to see if you have good spark on both plugs. If the idle mixture adjustment doesn't help, you may need to rebuild the carb as part of general maintenance, something you would have to do even if it was built in Fon Du Lac Wisconsin.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Some of those "yellow" countries make Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda...<br />Some of the best products around... So it's most likely operator error rather than manufacturer.<br />Just go through the trouble shooting guide and isolate the problem to Electrical, fuel, or mechanical.

trumpetbucks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First of all, I think the moderator(s) should have deleted this posting for the racial slurs.<br /><br />Secondly, I agree with jimd about it probably running lean. Also it might be that your choke is not working properly.<br /><br />Good luck!

Chesterfield

Cadet

Sorry bout all the rascism, anyway the motor and tank are all one crappy piece, and the choke is an aftermarket one that a marina put on. The plugs are good, and i cleaned the carb not to long ago