Little Black Box?

Fester

Seaman
I am having problems with my tilt and trim.....when I hook it up it just clicks one time up or down....I was told that I have to check for proper coltage...done and fine....then I was told that I need to bypass the solienoids and plug directly to the battery to see if the solenoid is defective.

The biggest questions I have is when I hear the clicking it is coming from a small black box next to a large plug mounted on the plate next to the powerhead (Mercury 115hp 2-stroke Inline 6)......The only thing I can find that is even remotely close to it is a voltage regulator....if it is a regulator, is it for the entire engine or just for the tilt/trim? and do I have to replace with factory original or can I replace with generic with appropriate specs?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Little Black Box?

Regulators don't click and they have nothing to do with the trim system. Regulators keep the charging voltage in the 13 - 14.5 volt range to prevent overcharging the battery. The rectifier converts AC power from the stator into DC power before feeding that voltage to the regulator. The little black box is more than likely a relay.

Fester

Seaman

Thank You...That is great news considering that Regulators are $100+...I have looked up relays and it looks nothing like it....it looks like a 3"x3"x1/2" box..it is right next to the large plug on the front plate of the motor.

Fester

Seaman

Well, I checked again and it is indeed the solenoid clicking....but it is clicking so hard it is causing everything to vibrate and that is why I thought it was the little black box.....I bypassed the solenoid and the tilt and trim works fine. Thanks!