Lionel files for Chapter 11

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
I know there some model railroaders here in case you have not heard but Lionel trains filed for chapter 11 today after losing a 40.8 million dollar law suit to MTH {Mike's Train House} they claimed that Lionel stole designs and used them. Lionel has been in business since 1900. It's a sad day in model railroad business..............

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lionel files for Chapter 11

Ironically, the news comes on the front end of the holiday season when greater attention is given to model trains. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of it...... Will folks run out to buy up existing Lionel inventory or will the companies financial position develop better leverage for competetive brands.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

AAAUUUUGGGHHH!!! :( <br /><br />Is Lionel going the way of classic toys, like Tinkertoys and Erector Sets? What about Lincoln Logs?<br /><br />What other great classic toys have disappeared?<br /><br />How much exercise of creativity do you get from a #$%^&*( GameBoy or a cellphone?<br /><br />A clear sign that civilization is doomed!!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

That stinks.... :( <br /><br />
How much exercise of creativity do you get from a #$%^&*( GameBoy or a cellphone?<br /><br />A clear sign that civilization is doomed!! <br />
Got that right, JB... :(

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haven't thought of my lional train in a long while. I'll have to remember to dig it out of the garage during the holidays and see if it still goes like it used to. Pretty good shape for a '56 model.<br /><br />'n mechano sets arn't like they used to be either!!<br /><br />JD

datawire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is Chapter 11 ? Is that the re-organization version... or the board-up the doors version? Got a friend with a Hobby Shop - he has some nightmare stories about MTH and their business practices.<br /><br />BLU LUNCH - What scale do you model?

NYMINUTE

Captain

What is the status of American Flyer? Had a set as a kid, loved it. Haven't kept up on them.

gaugeguy

Captain

Lionel trains is just basically a distributer now anyways. All their stuff is made in China, shipped to Detroit and distibuted from there :( <br /><br />Tonka trucks suck nowadays. Kids can actually break them now. I only ever had one tonka bulldozer break and that's because my dad drove over it. And I still played with it, even though it was flat!!!

ndemge

Commander

My son is into Transformers....... So was I when I was a kid... They are CRAP now, all they do is break apart...sneeze at em and they explode.<br /><br /><br />Had a lionel train set as a kid too, talked to the wife about a train track around the inside perimiter of our house about 8" from the ceiling, she was all for the idea :) Holes in the walls and everything :)

Homerr

Commander

I feel your pain fellas...<br /><br />I got my son a few of the older 'hands-on' toys such as Lincoln logs off of EBay.<br />He still messes with them from time to time.<br /><br />And you're right... these toys are getting tough to find that isn't 'virtual' i.e: on a computer screen.<br />I just about gave up when they had a Rubik's cube on a computer.. What's the fun in that?<br /><br /><br />My son is quickly becoming a computer nerd like myself. He's sure a heck of a lot smarter than me!<br /><br />I'm going to give him an old computer and a screwdriver and let him go to town. Best way to learn.<br /><br />H.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I would love to have the time and money for trains, they are cool.<br /><br />I know Lionel is a big name, but there are plenty of others to pick up the slack.<br /><br />My son only plays video games / game boy in the car, or after dark. I make sure he is always outside playing, and he doesnt seem to mind at all. I always refuse him and his friends to play the video games when it is good weather.<br /><br />Ken

ehenry

Commander

Tonka Toys....damn!! I haven't thought about my Tonka stuff since my boy lost interest in them, Man, I had some great fun wallerin in the dirt with my Tonka Trucks and Crane. All my plastic army guys and Lincon logs are still at my mamma's house. The great grands are playing with them now.<br /><br />How many of you out there ever lit your plastic army guys on fire and held it up off the ground so you could hear the flame zilch as it fell to the ground kinda like a flame bomber? Then, stuck the top half of a green army guy to the bottom half to a blue or gray army guy???

NYMINUTE

Captain

I forgot about the Tonka Trucks, Trains, and all when I discovered more expensive toys. Boats and Women. I miss my trains. :(

one more cast

Captain

I used to play with lead army guys, Ya think maybe thats why I act the way I do? :confused:

gaugeguy

Captain

They still make the plastic army guys, but they are very cheap now. We used to spend all day setting up the army men just right in the sand and then throw firecrackers at them. No wonder I am a war monger now!!!<br /><br />I don't know if the new army men have the flame thrower guy or not, but we would usually douse him in lighter fluid and he would burn if a firecracker got close to him ;)

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I am an avid Model Railroader, and if this is the end of Lionel, it truly is a sad day. <br /><br />There are many a man (and women,too, I suppose) out there today with fond memories of playing with Lionel electric trains when they were kids. <br /><br />One of my best memories is my Father going out looking all day for a new transformer for my first train, after he and my uncle had stayed up all night playing with the thing, and burned it up. <br /><br />Dad and I laughed about it until the day he died.

oddjob

Commander

I'm thinking of setting it up again now that my boys are 11 and 9. Maybe they can do it themselves this time around. I cant wait to buy a new engine. I have a HO set and just need to buy new track to start fresh again. set some plywood on the pool table and wala'..go to it guys. Let me know when its ready.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

If the Chapter 11 thing happens, the eBay prices for Lionel will appreciate - kinda reminds you of the stock market.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Datawire: I do "O" 3 rail I am very active in the hobby I am also the president of Connecticut Society of Ferroequinolist and Model Railroad Engineers the club is 53 years old and one of the oldest in New England. Lionel TMCC train Control is now the stsndard train and sound control system in the industry It is used by every major manufactor except MTH. And someone asked about American Flyer, Lionel bought out them in 1967 and still hold the rights to there product and they still make limited amount of product. The hobby store that houses our 18 by 65 club lay-out sells MTH and we get to try out all the new products and let me tell you when MTH went from Proto 1 that was produced by QSI Industies to there own { They are locked in litagation with QSI. QSI said they have over 40 patten infrigments against MTH} There quality went down and now I will not buy there products any more they are junk and service is BAD. Hopefully Lionel can pull them selfs up and get out of this mess. How many people here had or remember someone who had Lionel under the Christmas tree...........

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ouch .. my heart just dropped.<br /><br />not a hobbyist just have one thats been handed down and then added to as a kid ... nothing special i don't think.. haven't had it out in years!<br /><br />that three track deal sounds familiar metal with pins that hold the track together? ? ...<br /><br />big ole heavy dual electric engines ... running it so fast it tumbled off the track onto the carpet wipping out the flag men and the logs that were stacked there...<br /><br />man ...the memories.. this is a sad situation.<br /><br />as JB stated - "A clear sign that civilization is doomed!!"<br /><br />I'm going top locate that thing and set it up for Christmas!!