Link n sync after valve adjustment?

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can I adjust my low speed needle valves without first doing a lync n sync?

1985 Evinrude 40hp will only stay running with a shot from the primer solenoid every 30 seconds or so and I want to try the adjustments to see if I really have to rebuild the carbs.

Its a new engine to my boat

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Link n sync after valve adjustment?

Can't hurt anything to give them a tweak to the left to richen it up and see if it helps. Heck, you can always put them back where they were.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like it may be losing its prime...what type of fuel pump does that engine have?? May check fuel pressure and check for places air might enter the lines. I've seen fuel pumps that will give enough fuel to run higher speeds but then not have enough to keep fuel bowls full at low speeds. Just a thought...good luck!

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

also agree with what justintime says...if you don't know the history rebuilding carbs can only help in the long run, then you know what you got and you learn some about engine while doing it. You can also do a decarb with about 3 gallons of gas and 1 can of seafoam in a remote tank and run half through the engine at low speed...around 2500rpm, let about half run through it then let it set overnight with the seafoam mix in it and run the rest through it the next day...sometimes that will losen crude up in the carbs without a rebuild.