Link and Sync Procedure

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have a procedure that is easier to understand than Clymers. I am currently looking for a shop manual but I wanted to verify that all is well before the weekend.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Link and Sync Procedure

Mark, I got my shop manual in the other day, I'll get back with you this afternoon if someone doesn't help you first.<br /><br />Mike

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

it's pretty long and drawn out, maybe I should email you so I can see what I'm typing out better. And I can try and take some shots of illustrations if possible

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mikey,<br /><br />I am reeking havoc on this thing trying to figure it out. If you have a digital camera and could take a picture of your linkage setup that would be great. I cant get the throttles to open past ~75 without screwing everything else up. Some thing is amiss. And to think, I rig aircraft engines for a living. My email is mjash@earthlink.net.<br /><br />Thanks a heap!

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

well those are a beast within themselves...I'll get in touch with you, so you can describe what's goin on in some detail

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I start by setting the cam on the lower carb so the butterflies close all the way. Then I set the adjustment on the top carb so the cam follower is in the middle of the top mark of the throttle cam...here is where problems start. When when I move control all the way forward, The roll pins on carbs come nowhere near close to hitting the stops. If I aadust that nylon, "L" screw setup it throws out everything else. If I adjust throttle cable, I low idle screw is way too far from stop. <br /><br />Bottom line: I need another inch of travel on the butter flies to get the roll pins straight up and down. I was thinking if I could get real good detailed pics of your rig, I could get mine staticly set and adjust from there as needed. I just got this motor, so I have never seen it set up correctly. <br /><br />Anybody got any suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The Clymers manuals do a good job of describing the link&sync. You just need to start at the beginning and do it step by step. The throttle cable should be disconnected from the linkage and is not a factor in the link&synch. You should not be messing with that at all except as a very last step. When the link& sync is done, put the throttle in neutral, ensure the throttle is closed, then hold the cable end up to the linkage. If it doesn't slip on, adjust the cable trunion until it does. If you have to move the linkage to get the cable on you've adjusted it wrong.

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Clymers manual doesn't tell you to disconnect the cable. I have been through it step by step. As described in my last post, I recently aquired this motor and it wasn't set up properly from day 1. The problem is that I see no way to set up WOT after all the previous setting are done. I thought at first that they were done incorrectly so I went over them again and then redid them again. Clymers doesnt illustrate in detail what goes where. Sometimes a description on how to perform an operation doesn't quite cut it, especially if you are starting with a bad setup, as I may well be. " A picture is worth a thousand words."