lights,where do I put em?

riptide116

Seaman
I am wondering on where to mount a light,not the red/green light but a forward facing white light that will not interfere with red/green lights as seen from others,this light would be used in docking and on water to see what I am getting into or what waves are rolling my way.

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: lights,where do I put em?

If you mean a remote spotlight, it needs to be as far forward as possible.

crab bait

Captain

if it's a spot lite type lite.. it can be mounted anywhere.. by the steerin' helm,,off to one side,, anywhere.. <br /><br />but extreme far forward is best if you can do it.. <br /><br />there's no marine code for this.. if'n that's what your askin'...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'd just get a 1,000,000 candlepower handheld spotlight that you plug into the lighter socket and use it when you need it and store it when you don't, Much more versatile than a fixed mount. I love um...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

No question a hand held is easier to use.As stated before well forward is best otherwise you <br />can get glare off of forward deck,seats etc.<br /> Also if you have an open bow you could blind someone.A little tip I used to have a 15 ft. closed bow boat with a white deck.Even though the running lite was very far forward it glared so<br />much off the deck it was very hard to see.I put some black tape on the deck and it helped a bunch.

mattttt25

Commander

all good suggestions thus far. pls don't plan to keep this light on all the time, especially while underway. rules of the road don't include a spotlight, so you could confuse other boaters.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

RipTide<br />Remember there are other boater out there and a big spotlight can blind boats as far as a half mile away. When you finaly pass side by side the greating will not be friendly.<br /><br />To run at night you need to slow down. Also you need to control all your on board lights. A bright fishfinder or GPS will make it imposible for your to see ahead. Dash lights need to be dim and red. Any indicator lights on your control panel that is a bright yellow or white or green will make it hard to see. Any light that hits a light colored front deck is worth nothing as the light hitting the deck will blind you reguardless how bright it is.<br /><br />The bow and docking lights that are mounted thru the hull below deck up front will allow you to see forward but still blind others.<br /><br />I also have a handheld light that I can light up day markers or check ahead for debree but I use it only when I must and never with a boat ahead.

riptide116

Seaman

first off,I would not like to blind other boaters,nor to be blinded by others,I am concerned with the 'mis-interpitation' of a forward facing light in conjuntion with the red/green light,I was gong to go with a average candelpower -not a daylighter or upper end wattage,I was going to install a semi-ajustable for the vertical so I can ajust how far ahead the lights will pan.<br />I am planning on mounted light,not hand held,less B.S. to dink around with.<br />do I have the light mounted on the deck,like the red/green light or do I bring up the light from the deck a few feet-say from the upper part of windsheild or canopy?<br /><br />thanks for the info for glare from the deck and how it can affect visual accuity at night.<br />as for the dash lights,they all are red lighs,all the swiches are under 'dashboard'<br /><br />do I /can I mount the horn under dashboard area ?<br />again I have the swich panel under dash,that is where the horn swich is going to go allso.<br /><br />I am working on installing throttle and sterring,right now its tiller drive,so when I gotta flip a swich,I gotta move forward to swich panel.<br /><br />cram time for spring,tail end of restoring a 1959 uniflite 14'

mattttt25

Commander

i really think you should mount it where it best suits your needs. you obviously want it high enough to iluminate an approaching dock, etc. i have two spreader lights mounted forward on my hardtop and one mounted aft. but i only use them at short intervals when docking at night, or boating a fish. i don't run with them, since it could confuse other boaters. good luck-

riptide116

Seaman

way cool<br /> <br />thanks all for the info,I dont really plan to be out at night(some remote chance) but in the worst case situation I would like to have em.<br /><br />I would like to install the lights so that it dont make it ugly but usefull.<br /><br />when I was on crab boat in alaska,privlov's area,we had some big ole lights all over the vessle,it was lit up like chrismass and viewing radius was prob 150-200 ft port & starbord,front was Daylight!!!<br /><br />not that my boat dont need that much,let alone carry even 1 of them lights or power it.<br /><br />Crunch time for boating season<br />Thanks everyone !<br />Peace

crab bait

Captain

most/all my spring fishin' is at nite ..an if there's a log,stump, or pole out there i'll find it,, the hard way.. <br /><br />i have a remote control lite .. it's expensive.. very.. it's an 18 inch pole lite with red/green lites with powerful spot on top ..that has a r/f hand control for the spot..<br /><br />it's a very powerful lite.. but in total darkness out on the water.. the darkness just sucks up the lite like nothin'.. since there's nothin' for the lite to reflect off of.. <br /><br />but when it does... HARD TO PORT..an quickly..