Lights on trailer wheel well step keep breaking, suggestions?

mkmarquis

Cadet
The front and back of the wheel wells on my trailer have small lights bolted to them at the bottom. These wheel wells also double as steps to get into the boat when on the trailer. As friends step up on them they also step on part of the plastic light assembly which breaks the back of it off from the mounting bolt so then the light hangs tilted down. I replaced them the first time. Now I am thinking of bolting a small steel plate on top of the step and overlapping the light. <br /><br />Any other suggestions before I drill holes in my wheel well ? ? ?<br /><br />Mike

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lights on trailer wheel well step keep breaking, suggestions?

How about an "L" shaped bracket, with the bottom part of the "L" facing downward and mounted between the light and the fender. The width would be as wide as the light.<br /><br />You could drill the lower part of the "L" with the same hole deminsions the light mounts with and just use some heavier screws or even bolts.<br /><br />This would save drilling new holes in the fender and although may not be strong enough to stand on, would at least, offer some protection.<br /><br />Just an idea.

D

DJ

Marty has the right idea. The trailer I have under my project boat has just that. Someone took the time to bolt inverted "L" brackets behind the lights. They also did it right by going with aluminum and ground the corners off round.

BrianG

Seaman Apprentice

how about not stepping on the lights?

Stubby

Cadet

This is a pretty simple solution, but It seems to work. I have labels that were made that says "Not a step" and it has worked pretty well.<br /><br />Just another idea.<br /><br />Jason