Lighting questions - Chaparral 347 SSX

ICohen424

Cadet
Hey all, Im new here, hoping to find some answers to some frustrating problems.
I have a 2019 347 SSX.
The hard top has lights that rotate colors then turn off for each press of the button but my lights are out of sync (one is blue, one red, one white, one off, etc), so I could either press the button way too many times until I hit the lottery and they're all off or turn off the main power to the boat. Its very annoying and frustrating. One of the lights are also out.
1. How do I access the light to change the bulb? Which bulb is it?
2. Will changing the bulb resolve this or is there some other issue?

My spotlight is a fairly weak halogen (yellow color) spotlight. Id like to change it to a bright white light, preferably LED. Ive spent quite some time searching but Im barely even sure which bulb is in there now, let alone what a good replacement would be.
Any suggestions?

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

I have a similar boat with the same sort of lights on the arch.

I found that when they get out of sync, I needed to shut off (and then back on) the accessory power circuit breaker at the electrical panel. Seems like a nuisance, but that's how some of this new stuff is.

As for the lights, I took one of my overhead lights out to run some wiring and noticed that it is a sealed unit and did not look like you could merely replace 'the bulb' . . . makes sense since it is a multi-colored LED unit. IIRC, they were about $40 a piece :oops: .

As for the spot light . . . can you take the existing bulb out for a look at any identifying numbers or even do a visual match?

Aren't these new boats 'fun'? :unsure:

FWIW - I had the Chappy 347/337/327 series on my short list of boats during my recent purchase, but opted for the Cruisers 338, as the cabin on the Chappy was not 'Admiral approved' :ROFLMAO:

ICohen424

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback!
I previously owned a 327 a few years back and had the same lighting issue but the dealer was far and terrible so I just prefer to figure it out and do it myself.
The lights switch in the accessory panel doesn't turn those lights off, only the cabin lights. Ive had to go to the main battery switches under the deck.
Regarding the arch lights... I dont mind changing the entire light assembly rather than bulb but Id like to just change for white/off instead of colors to avoid the headache. Any idea where I can get these and/or what model they are or what would fit?
How did you get the lights out? I can't find any screw nor any indication that any part could be removed to get to a screw.
Would you know if these can be replaced for just white/off lights instead of colored/off lights? That would be much easier for when they get out of sync.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the feedback!
I previously owned a 327 a few years back . . .
You had a 327 and then upgraded to the 347 ??? Basically the same boat except a bit more swim platform (right?)
Regarding the arch lights... I don't mind changing the entire light assembly rather than bulb but Id like to just change for white/off instead of colors to avoid the headache. Any idea where I can get these and/or what model they are or what would fit?
How did you get the lights out? I can't find any screw nor any indication that any part could be removed to get to a screw.
Would you know if these can be replaced for just white/off lights instead of colored

I don't recall exactly what brand/model, but they may have been 'ITC' brand 'tricolor' LED - water resistant. (about $44 on Amazon)

I had to pry off the stainless steel bezel, which did not want to come off, in order to access the screws that hold the light in place. Perhaps the bezel twists off . . . IDK. :unsure:

Keep in mind that when boating at night, you would want either the blue or the red (not white) for better navigation purposes.

ICohen424

Cadet
You had a 327 and then upgraded to the 347 ??? Basically the same boat except a bit more swim platform (right?)
Correct. I had the same lighting issue in the 327, which is why I want to just change the lights to white.
I don't recall exactly what brand/model, but they may have been 'ITC' brand 'tricolor' LED - water resistant. (about $44 on Amazon)

I had to pry off the stainless steel bezel, which did not want to come off, in order to access the screws that hold the light in place. Perhaps the bezel twists off . . . IDK. :unsure:

Keep in mind that when boating at night, you would want either the blue or the red (not white) for better navigation purposes.
Yes, I have other blue lights throughout the boat. The previous owner must have really liked blue because it lights up!!
Ill give a try to prying or twisting.

Again, thanks for your input!