Lifter tapping

CARMINE326

Cadet
I have a 1995 302 Ford that just recieved a new crank, crack bearing and rod bearings due to low oil pressure. Now I have a lifter that is tapping and it takes more throttle to start with idle starting to surge. My question is does it sound as if the lifter is stuck or is the pushrod bent that causes the idle to be erratic? What damage could occur with these symptoms continuing? Is there an additive that may solve lifter tapping or is it time to change? 1995 Baha Cruiser 302 volvo penta sx outdrive. Thanks much!

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Lifter tapping

Could just be out of ajustment, if the lifters are adjustable in this engine. Im mostly a chevy guy. If you just had engine rebuilt as it sounds, then there shouldnt be any crud in it yet to cause a sticky lifter, therefore no additive is going to solve your problem.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I think Lubedude means if your rocker arm are adjustable. Lifter are non adjustable. I hope you don't have a bad one or worse a wiped lobe on the cam. Low oil pressure could have easily caused cam/lifter problems. <br /> When I put my boat away last year I had no problems. Before I even started it this year I pulled the motor and did a total rebuild (just to freshen it up and upgrading stuff) used the same cam and lifters. After getting it back together and starting it I found that I had a collapsed lifter. Talk about being pi** off. Tear it back apart and install new lifters. When I was adjusting my roller rockers I broke a poly lock nut and now I am waiting for a new one to show up. Enough of my rant<br /> Incorrect rocker adjustment, bad lifter or worst case wiped cam will cause your idle to be off and for that matter everything else. Think of it this way with one of those things wrong your valve(s) are opening to early, late, to much or not enough. Any of them will cause nothing but problems and do nothing but hurt your motor. After having the bottom end redone I would get it fixed.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure it's not an exhaust leak. They will sound similar sometimes.<br /><br />Try a piece of garden hose. While probing around hold the other end to your ear.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Have you done a compression check? This will at least identify the cylinder. Pull off the rocker arm covers - turn the engine over until the cylinder with the problem is up for compression ( both valve should be closed) check that the valve (s) are not open because the rocker arm adjustment is too tight. Check the push rod too.

CARMINE326

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I will be getting into the motor this weekend and will post all results early next week. By the way the adjustment on the rockers are all the way down the motor uses flat tappets. Thank you.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by CARMINE326:<br /> By the way the adjustment on the rockers are all the way down the motor uses flat tappets. Thank you.
Yes, thats what I ment, If the rockers are adjustable.<br /><br />The fact that the adjustment nut is all the way down isnt good news, this shouldnt be. Im guessing a flat cam lobe. Did you install new lifters, or be sure you put the old ones back on the same lobs of the cam they came off of. If not, theres your problem. :eek:

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I think the Fords are pre set during assembly and not adjustable.<br /><br /> Per se. sp?<br /><br />Although, pushrods are available in shorter than, and longer than stock lenths.

LubeDude

Admiral

Like I said, Not a Ford man. I hope its just a lifter.

CARMINE326

Cadet

How does a lifter collapse and what are the symptoms to look for? What would a lifter look like that has done this? I will check compression also. Thank everybody for all the help.

LubeDude

Admiral

I do not know what makes them do it, but hydaulic lifters have a little piston inside them with a light spring under it, there is a small hole inside that is suppose to fill with oil preasure to hold the valve clearance. for some odd reason they will sometimes stick in the down posision and will not pump up again. Little peice of crud or whatever, anyway it causes the clicking sound you are hearing. I have seen people take them apart and clean them out with success. but they are cheap and should be replaced. Change them all when you do it. Put a little assembly lube on the botttom when you put them in.<br /><br />Hey, now is the time to install a nice set of roller rockers. :D True rollers are pretty spendy, but even the roller tipped are an improvement. They will free up the valve train some and your engine will rev a little quicker. Wont make a huge difference, but some.

homealone

Cadet

I'm new here but, if you lost oil pressure you've got more damage than you think. You needed a complete overhaul, not just replacing crank, etc.

homealone

Cadet

I'm sorry, let me expound upon what I was saying. You had the motor out... I never pull a motor and not rebuild. You lost oil pressure and your main bearings were cooked, also rod bearings. What about cam bearings?? And, what about the lobes on the cam? Also, what kinda junk was circulating inside the motor and where did it end up? Lifters have small orifices that can get clogged. I'd also be worried about your rings and cylinder walls. I apologize for being the bearer of bad tidings but I wouldn't trust that motor if what you said was true.

homealone

Cadet

LubeDude, if you know about outdrives would you look at my post and see if you have an answer for me? Thanks! I'd like to get going this weekend if I can.

CARMINE326

Cadet

I purchased a rebuilt marinetek long block that come to find out the crank was 30 on the main and 10 on the rods. Had oil pressure for about 10 hours then everything went south. Pulled engine and found that one of the mains was tore up but nothing had spun. So then I had gotten a 10/10 crank and all bearings and installed after I flushed the block. Some debris could have easily have gotten in a lifter I had shavings of main bearing in the pan. I replaced the oil pump as well along with new seals. Cam and cam bearings were excellent, cylinder wall were like brand new, no scaring at all. Thank you for the advice!

homealone

Cadet

10-4 Carmine. I've been in your shoes before. I wish somebody would help me with my problem. My wife's coming down with the book. Maybe I'll figure it out. I know motors but I'm not too up to snuff on outdrives. I think linkage though.

CARMINE326

Cadet

Are there any difference in a marine lifter vs. automotive lifter? All aftermarket lifters have a smaller orfice on side and on top where the pushrod is. Would this make a difference in cooling? It would seem that smaller hole= more pressure lower volume. Larger hole= less pressure higher volume. I checked some older 351 lifters and they have larger oiling holes. All lifters at the parts stores from 1960's to 1990's all have the smaller oiling holes ( same part number for 302 and 351. Help!!!!

f_inscreenname

Commander

Go to the parts store and ask for a set of lifters for a 1995 ford 302. You will get the right ones. There is no such thing as “marine” lifters. Like I said before I had a collapsed lifter a got a rude awakening when I went to buy/order a new set. A couple of local parts stores didn't have in stock but could have them next day for get this $200.00 plus (for a 1985 360 Mopar). I only paid $109.00 for the original cam/lifter set. I laughed in the guys face and walker out. Got on line and found something else out. If you try to buy a cam or a set of lifters by themselves you will end up paying as much for one as you would for both. Dumbfounded over this I call Northern Auto parts (they have most the money I spent on motor parts) about this. I then proceeded to dumbfound the tech person why there was only a $8.00 difference between just the lifters and a cam/lifters set. In our conversation he stated that there is only two manufacturers of lifters (out of Mexico) for all the cam makers. He then asked to call me back. Within the hour he called and said that he found a set of speed pro lifters for about half of the money of a cam/lifter set. What I thought I should pay. He also found out that Speed Pro and Crain used the same lifter manufacture so the were the same except for the money (like said, about half ). Point is be prepared when you ask how much for what most people think are cheap. Do yourself a favor and get the cam and lifter set online (Summit, Northern, JEGs) the local guys will kill you for that kind of part.