Lifespan of airhead tubes

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
Anybody know how long they last? Since we fold them and store them in the locker and do this a couple times a year and in the winter gets left in the locker covered up. Anybody have theirs for 5+ years, 10+ maybe?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
service life can be about 10 years max if properly cared for.

designed to last about 5 with reasonable care. The SUP's and kayaks are a bit longer.

stresspoint

Ensign
my sevlor is going on 15 years , we leave it pumped up most of the summer seasons when it gets used , when not in use its stored inside rolled up in a sleeve bag. some yeas it does not come out at all .
a couple of the handle straps are frayed other than that some ware and tare on the decals its like new.

Chris51280

thanks. wondered on the inner tube because of the folding and creases the tube gets stress points and eventually leaks there.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
thanks. wondered on the inner tube because of the folding and creases the tube gets stress points and eventually leaks there.
service life can be about 10 years max if properly cared for.

designed to last about 5 with reasonable care. The SUP's and kayaks are a bit longer.
Anybody know how long they last? Since we fold them and store them in the locker and do this a couple times a year and in the winter gets left in the locker covered up. Anybody have theirs for 5+ years, 10+ maybe?
Talked to my bud who used to head their development.

they make different outer covers every year or so, however keep the same bladders so if a customers bladder leaks they can get a new bladder. however they are considered a disposable toy

the PVC used in the bladders leach their chemicals quickly and life is directly affected by cleaning, storage, inflation, temperature, etc. cold is the enemy of the PVC. they will cold crack after a few years if stowed folded

Chris51280

Talked to my bud who used to head their development.

they make different outer covers every year or so, however keep the same bladders so if a customers bladder leaks they can get a new bladder. however they are considered a disposable toy

the PVC used in the bladders leach their chemicals quickly and life is directly affected by cleaning, storage, inflation, temperature, etc. cold is the enemy of the PVC. they will cold crack after a few years if stowed folded
Ah, good to know. guess what, I did all of the above. So I'm gonna be preparing to have to get another one. been doing this for 4 years now and it came with the boat. So not sure how old it really is. I knew rubber parts gas out and loose their flexibility. The good thing is they aren't too expensive and the kids have fun. All that matters to put a smile on their face and yours once you get to throw them off

Scott Danforth

Staff member
im affraid to pull my tube out of the garage. since the gulf club grip rubber turned to a gooey mess from the florida heat in 3 years. not sure how the tube is going to fair since its been packed in a box next to the clubs for about 9 years

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I deflate mine and put it in storage. In the spring I pump it up and use it. It's getting a bit razzeled but it's been 10 years. It may or may not last another.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When the boys were small and wanted to go tubing (floating in our pond) we bought a couple at KMart. When they got older and wanted to tube behind the boat we bought ones more suited. The old ones were left inflated, tied together, and used as a "pillow" under our winter pool cover. They are now 25+ years old and haven't been deflated in at least 10 years. Summer storage is in the loft above our boat house. They still look like new and haven't had air added since the last time I blew them up.

The wife and I have tubes we use on the sandbar on vacation. They are only inflated for daily use. They are both about 10 years old.

All of our tubes have been Intex. Ya know, the cheep ones. Hearing about the short lifespan of Airheads makes me wonder if Intex ain't so cheap after all.

harringtondav

Commander
Ours is around seven yrs old. Until last fall I've kept it inflated and hanging outdoors....in Iowa winters. It's still in very good shape.
Now that I've finished the basement with lots of storage, I stored it inside. ....rolled up. I've always avoided folding and creases.