Life and boats

rickl

Cadet
While reading the replies YAMADOG receive on a question he posted (Boating really is " The Greatest", right?) I notice this comment made by esCape:<br />...“My main regret is waiting to get a dependable boat until after my boys were too old to be able to spend much time on the boat with me.<br /><br />I spent countless lost weekends fixing the old boat or can't go on a trip because the old boat was acting up, but the boys wanting to be out on the water. I enjoy fixing the boat as much as using it, but preteen and teenage boys want action. Now I have a dependable boat, but the boys have grown up and have their own lives.<br /><br />I should have bought a smaller but newer boat then, and fixed up the bigger boat now that I have time to myself.”.........<br /><br />esCape gave me food for though. I’ve been messing around with boats for the past 15 years, most of those years repairing, building, dreaming, and not allot of time in the water. I guess it’s my therapy and way of unwinding.<br />I’m now 41 and have 3 kids ages 13,10 and 1. I know, I know, the last thru me for a loop (She was unexpected) but still a blessing. I just wanted to point out the fact that some of us sometimes get so involve with our dreams of boating and quest for our perfect boat that we let time slip by.<br />We need to spend time on our boats with our kids, so they may someday do the same with theirs and they with their grandparents. Someone has to drive the boat when we get too old and have to ware diapers; it would be nice to have someone carry-on the boating tradition and our stories of the one that got away.<br /><br />esCape thank you!! You made me realize that I need to change my ways. :)

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Life and boats

Like the old saying - I work to live, not live to work. Time goes by way too fast to not enjoy life, especially when your kids are young. Mine are 9 and 11 and they **enjoy** being with wife and I as a family. I keep hearing that once they become teenagers thay won't want to spend family time. A few years ago, that teenager word seemed an eternity away. Now I'm 2 yrs from it. I only hope and pray that we've raised them to realize the importance of family and that they don't drift or rebel too bad.<br /><br />Great topic!!! Reminds us of what is important.<br /><br />BL...

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

rickl,<br /> Seems like we had the same revelation. Some time back it occurred to me that my 11 year old was spending too much time waiting for me to maintain an older boat. If I'm lucky I have 5 or 6 more years with him before his friends will be more important (and smarter ;) )than his dad. I want to use those few years to make the best of memories for him, so I bought a new boat and motor. Now we spend all or our time fishing and enjoying our outings rather than working on a boat in the garage. The cost of the boat and motor are nothing compared to the happiness I see on his face.<br /><br />Good post! We won't get a second chance to make good memories for our children.

crab bait

Captain

cost-of-boat: $15,000 .. cost-of-motor:$9,000.. cost-of-trailer:$2,000 cost-of-being-with-your-kids..............priceless............

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

hmmm. Well now wait a minute. If you can teach a kid that he or she can put together a working boat with more skill and creativity than money, that's not a bad thing. And I suspect there are a lot of newbies out there that are asking questions because they either don't have the bucks for a new rig, or have their money in things like houses. But you sure have a point. I fretted over a varnished hull when it would probably have been better to just let it go if the kid just wanted to see how fast the thing was.<br /><br />got to be careful though. As my 18 yr old son points out, "Boating is your hobby, Dad. Playing a bass guitar is mine." (He's pretty good at it too.) When I kind of wish he had gotten into boats a little more, I think I'm probably just being a little possessive.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great post. Food for thought for me. I've got a 5 and 2 year old. Been spending too much time working on the old house this year. Last year it was the boat (which starts again on Sunday for this season). Lately I've been musing about an old car when the house is done. Maybe I'll take a breather instead.<br /><br />Seems to me that being determined about getting dirty and fixing stuff right isn't a bad thing to pass on to the kids, but a little balance is also in order.

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey that is an expensive boat there crab bait.. my new one I just got was only 15,500. with 90hp suzuki and trailer......

rickl

Cadet

Hi Guys,<br />Fix an old boat, buy a new boat it doesn't mater, just find something that you can do together before they decide they rather be with their friends, instead of their old Dad.<br /><br />Rickl :D

rwjacobs

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Guys,<br /><br />Thanks for these posts. If you don't mind, I am going to use all of your reasoning to persuade my wife that we should buy a new boat. My 3 kids are still small (1 and 3 years old), but wy not teach them young. My son has already been asking why we are not using the boat (my wife does not trust it).<br /><br />Thanks again for the great remarks!!