lets figure this one out !!!!

mercruiser, alpha 1 (1991) 3.o liter

1-on top of the engine, if your look towards the stern. bellow the carb on the left side of it is a bolt that is seated flush with the engine. it has a small gap around it as well. when i started my boat for the first time this season i noticed oil bubbling around it when the engine got a little warmer. Is this a possible leak that is common or is it just oil trapped in the gab heating up. i cant really get to it to wipe it out and dry it. the oil on the dip stick is clean and oil isnt leaking out and dripping anywhere.

2- fuel is leaking from the brass bolt. how do fix it or should it be replaced.

Attachments

• engine 1.JPG
    engine 1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • downsized_0423001100.jpg
    downsized_0423001100.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: lets figure this one out !!!!

fuel is leaking from the brass bolt. how do fix it or should it be replaced.

I assume that is a flare fitting. It is pretty buggered up. If you don't have a set of flare wrenches, you need to invest in a good set. It looks like you (or someone) have been using vise grips.

I would remove the fitting and make sure the end of the flare is not messed up - when you reinstall it, you need to hold the receiving fitting securely with a good wrench, while you tighten that fitting into it. If that doesn't work, then yes, you probably need a new line.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's also cross threaded.
You need a new line and the fitting the line screws into.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I Agree with Don,... That carb fitting,+ the line fitting are Junk,... Both need replacing...

The oily bolt looks like a valve cover bolt or a headbolt... Whichever, it shouldn't be Loose...
The oil could be coming from the valve cover gasket, it's Right there...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

If you can get those Vise Grips in there you may try tightening it.

Is this something that frequently happens ? and is it an expensive catastrophic problem ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Is this something that frequently happens ? and is it an expensive catastrophic problem ?

Only if the correct tools are not used , the hole in question I think is the hot air feed for a mechanical choke. Send me the old line and I`ll make you one.

hmmm. it doesnt look like it has ever come out. It just looks like the top of a bolt. i will try and post a better pic of it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

the hole in question I think is the hot air feed for a mechanical choke.

The picture was too small for me to even comment on. Here's a pic of my engine that had the tube Bt Doctur is talking about. You can see the small tube sticking up.... is that where yours is?

DSCF5483.jpg

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is hard to see in the photo because everything has black paint, but it looks to be a head bolt. The center one in fact. The oil is prob seaping from the valve cover gasket.

The gap would suggest it is loose so you should check it with a torque wrench. It should be 90lb ft.

30head.jpg

fishermark- its the one directly to the center left of the carb.

solar7647- thats the one !

you guys rock,