Lesson Learned

jkust

Rear Admiral
We finally had our first trailering issue last week. On the way up on a 4 day boating vacation we got a blow out on one of my nearly new trailer tires. I learned the hard way that the lug wrench on my SUV is a size too small for the trailer lugs. I had forgotten my socket set that would have worked as a backup but due to being in a hurry didn't have and a crescent wrench would't work. I had to break down and call roadside assistance which is included on my boat insurance. It is humbling to have to rely on others. A thousand cars must have passed us and finally one good samaritan stopped just as the assistance arrived. Anyway, I promptly went to Walmart after we got home and bought a T lug wrench for $13. The new non Brand matching tire was $120. Apparently there were 1034 people on the waiting list to get a matching tire to my spare as I could not match the Titan that blew. I didn't know there was a tire waiting list. For some reason an 8 ply 'D' rated tire in my size is nearly impossible to find. Any way lesson learned...make sure you have the correct lug wrench and stay off the white line with your trailer. A tip then is that Progressive boat insurance comes with free trailer road side assistance. I had luckily just renewed the prior week and discovered that.