less problems, or less quantity?

lmoreau

Seaman
I noticed that there are twice as many questions in the Johnnyrude forums...is this because there are more of them, or do they typically have more problems?<br /><br />I know around here, all I see is Mercs and Yammys...

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: less problems, or less quantity?

Well, here's what I've noticed...<br /><br />On older boats around my neck of the woods, I see more Johnson outboards (followed by Merc). On newer boats, I see more Mercs and Japanese motors, mostly Yams and Hondas.<br /><br />This site, especially the experts and mechanics, seem to know more, discuss more, and help more with the older motors than other boating sites I know of. I wondered the same thing you did at first, but came to the conclusion that these forums seem to be the best place to come for advice on older motors, particularly Johnsons, and therefore there are more posts about them. <br /><br />Of course, all this is pure speculation, and I'll look forward to what the others say.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

That sounds logical, my guess is OMC "Johnson/Evinrude" sold more of these in the 60's, 70's and like OL'Norse said you see more Mercs and Japanese now a days.<br /><br />I wonder who has been the outboard leader "most units sold" by decade..60's 70's 80's 90's 00's.....?

Clams Canino

Commander

I can add a couple guesses but no "answer".<br /><br />(This while avoiding the temtation to say that outboards made by "The Enemy" have more problems because they stunk.)<br /><br />One theory is that Johnson and Evinrude brands may have combined to sell more motors than the single branded Mercury. (we'll ignore the short-lived Mariner line)<br /><br />The other goes back to one of the 10 rumors that the Jonnyrude dealers used to float about Mercury. "They're fast but they don't last". With the hindsight of history behind us there may be a little truth to that - but not as they intended it:<br /><br />Many of the older Mercs were (are) capable of holding together at some pretty scary RPM's. Throughout outboard history racers and "hotboat" enthusiasts seem to gravitate to Mercury, because they ARE faster overall. This means a lot more Mercuries had a lot harder lifetime than a lot of Jonnyrudes. Some may have just plain worn out while many no-doubt suffered sudden catastrophic failures at high RPM's. So there may be less Mercs out there now by attrition. Meanwhile the old Jonnyrudes abound out there, because they never did anything to begin with. :D <br /><br />Out here on Hartwell (a BIG lake) all I ever see the old Jonnyrudes doing is pushing party barges or little fishing boats around. Anytime I see an outboard going really fast - it's usually a Merc. :D <br /><br />-W